add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

On Alt / Sock-puppet Accounts...

philip

49 months ago

Hi Everyone,

We've had some kinda shady voting going on recently, so I wanted to make our policy on voting/commenting regarding alternate accounts (i.e. sock puppets). Historically we've been fine with people creating multiple accounts. But don't use your alternate accounts to upvote your own posts, builds, etc. Also don't use your alternate accounts to respond to yourself showing support in a way that would deceive other users. Don't bulk upvote or downvote other people's stuff from multiple accounts. One person, one vote per item please.

I ran a cursory sweep this morning to look for voting anomalies. The good news is that there weren't that many. The bad news is that there were some flagrantly obvious ones and I ended up banning about a dozen accounts. We'll keep tabs on things going forward, and if I see it again I won't hesitate to wield the ban hammer with a crazed glee.

Cheers,
Philip

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 16 points

Crazed glee

Thx Phil! Always knew I could count on you and your insanity.

EDIT

I now think I truly understand why you chose the avatar you did...

• 49 months ago
  • 16 points

I'm just here to dance

• 49 months ago
  • 5 points

Well at least I finally know what the shark is doing.

• 49 months ago
  • 5 points

Left Shark is life.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Left shark will never be forgotten.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Why do i have the strange feeling that this has something to do with that nuked thread?

Hmm.....

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... Haven't been super active on the forums as of late... what nuked thread? Any info on it? (Or, is it something that shouldn't be spoken about in public?)

Also, just something that's be rattling around in my head... Doesn't seem like you wielding the Banhammer with Glee; seems more like you had it over your shoulder and knocked a few accounts into the can.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

It was this thread. Unfortunately, I totally missed it. =(

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I always miss the good ones! :(

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I missed it too D:

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Any info on it?

Just Eschaton and some guy going at it.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh, yea... That narrows it down to what, 90% of their posts? :P (Seriously, seems like Eschaton is always going at it with someone...)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Heh... yea.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

lmao

• 49 months ago
  • 9 points

Plz don't ban me

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

did you make that acc just to say this :p

• 49 months ago
  • 3 points

yep :D

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

I want to report something, but I wasn't sure where I should report it to so I reported the post and I figured I will post here just to be safe I think a certain user has used multiple accounts to upvoted his posts and downvote mine in his build guide so I am wondering if there is any way you can check that out.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Situation remedied - thanks for the heads up.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

You made an enemy!?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, he made accounts or got people to downvote all my comments to almost hidden level just because I pointed out he didn't mention what his guide is for and thought beast described what it was for. All of his comments were upvoted by I think 4 and all of mine downvoted by 4.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow...that must have taken him a long time!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

No I mean about -4.

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Historically we've been fine with people creating multiple accounts.

honestly I don't see a why someone would need multiple accounts (even just one more).... Though I would like to know a good reason to create an extra one....

• 49 months ago
  • 3 points

For useless internet points, I guess.

• 49 months ago
  • 4 points

Useless? 0-0

• 49 months ago
  • 3 points

yes

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Though I would like to know a good reason to create an extra one....

Maybe they prefer using a different name? I know I'm now into a different unified naming scheme for my online persona, so this FH100 should be changed but I just don't feel like going through the whole "yea, I'm FH100, just with a different name" whenever I make a post that references past events with certain users...

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

To get your posts to the top of the threads cause you're opinion is obviously a lot better than other people's and other voters are just too stupid to realize it.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Stupid question but could we know who was banned?

• 49 months ago
  • 6 points

Sorry, not going to disclose that info.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I figured do...

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been noticing lots of threads I reply on and get notified I'm replied to after are deleted when I try to click the links... People are deleting posts like crazy these days... This tied to it?

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

We haven't had to delete many topics recently, but we have had to ban a number of accounts. When that happens, the topics the user created (and all associated comments) get deleted as well.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That explains it...

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

First time I've heard of a sock puppet account.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

"...If I see it again I won't hesitate to wield the ban hammer with a crazed glee.

Cheers, Philip"

This makes me question the safety of this site...

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm looking at the logs, and I see that you submitted the topic to each category separately, each one 3-4 seconds apart, one after the other. That doesn't look like a bug to me. It looks intentional.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm seeing that the post submissions were not clicking the same submit button multiple times, but rather submitting on each forum separately. They were separate pages, separate URLs.

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

I'm sitting here staring at the logs showing you literally opened up all the forum pages one after the other. Then went through and clicked New Topic on each one. Then four minutes later you posted on every single one of them. Logs don't lie, and you're not welcome on this site if you're going to lie and treat myself and others here like fools... blaming the site or your computer when your actions were completely obvious.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I typed up this long explanation of the voting system for you, but I erased it. Just know that downvoting is neither mean nor immature. It has its place, whether people use it correctly or not.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not saying that everyone uses it correctly, but you can certainly choose to. A comment that blatantly tells a false statement needs to be downvoted. People come to these forums for information, so someone spewing out lies needs to be downvoted.

The voting system is not the same as a Facebook "like." You shouldn't downvote a comment just because you don't like what they're saying. You should downvote if the comment is irrelevant to the conversation, isn't true, or something along those lines.

Is the system flawed? Yes it is. I think it should just be removed altogether, but until then, I will continue to use it for what it's meant for.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Sometimes I get "off topic" I guess while trying to be funny... so that's "down-votable" then?

You see that's sorta different... because in completed builds its not like you can offer any useful advice pertaining to their parts list because well.... they already bought everything. So making random comments wouldn't be necessarily constitute as a down-votable offence (though... anything is really). it's just random people who do it on a daily basis... I wouldn't get too fussed over it, it's happened to everyone including me.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't misunderstand my post. I never said that your posts deserve to be downvoted.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 6 points

I'd say that counts as vote spamming. I know who it is, and we'll get it taken care of. Let me talk with manirelli on the best way to handle it and address it in the future.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I just happened to notice I took a -42 point hit in about an hour

this is late, sorry to hear this... the person that did it was immature

now for the funny part, Philip we need some kind of filter,

that when people come taking points they get the BOMB

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube