add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Removal of TigerDirect (US and Canada)

philip

53 months ago

Hi all,

Just to preempt some questions I'm sure we'll see - I've decided to remove TigerDirect listings for now pending more information about what is happening to their business.

Per the following article:
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/NY51630.htm

To quote part of it:

Leeds continued, "After an extensive review and planning process, we are taking actions immediately to accelerate our B2B and public sector customer focus in our North American Technology Products business. These actions will include the exit of substantially all retail store operations; closing a distribution center; and implementing a general workforce reduction to realign our resources solely with our B2B focus. We have engaged Gordon Brothers to assist with the retail store process and anticipate that all of these actions will be completed by the end of the second quarter."

The exit of "substantially all retail store operations" and closing a distribution center definitely does not sound good, so I think it's wisest to remove their listings. If we hear news that the online retail operations are going to continue in full, we may reinstate them.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 5 points

Perhaps it made sense at the time, but from what I'm reading TigerDirect is closing or has closed all retail brick and mortar stores to focus on online sales with an increased focus on selling B2B.

Three of my last 7 orders have been with TD with zero issues. Free 2-days shoprunner so if their net overall price is best they win.

Blacklisting TD because they closed some unprofitable B&M retail stores seems to be an overly cautious, knee jerk reaction.

• 53 months ago
  • 3 points

Wow. That's an old pioneer in the retail biz...

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

I'm not surprised. I found out about about three months ago that we have a TD store here in Dallas, so I went to check it out. It was...sad. Half the shelves were empty, and what they did have was pretty limited and not exactly competitively priced. The few employees that were there looked like that was the last place on earth they wanted to be working. No way they were competing with Micro Center, which we're lucky to have here.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Same with TD in Canada -- everything looked like crap and the brands were always second-tier.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The store near me in Hoffman Estates, IL seemed the same way. They were very oriented on who "made" the sale. One time I saw an employee get upset at their manager because they helped the guy but the other guy "always took care of him". Most I ever bought there was my GTX 650 Ti Boost and a Corsair Vengeance mouse.

Funny thing is that Tiger bought CompUSA back in 2008 and shut down a bunch of the stores. Now they are cutting even more.

• 50 months ago
  • 3 points

Regarding TigerDirect, I don't care if they are closing all of their retail stores. NewEgg or Superbiz is online only and they never ever have a retail store. As long as TigerDirect has an online presence TODAY,, it is serving me well as a consumer trying to save a few bucks. I build all my PCs over the years and I mostly buy part from online stores anyway.

So, why do you think it's wisest to remove their listings? Why don't you delay you removal when they are proven to be gone for good?

• 50 months ago
  • 0 points

The biggest problem with Superbiiz is they force you through an external card verification process not directly affiliated with your card issuer such as Verified by Visa. It goes as far as to exclude any prepaid gift cards just because they can't verify an address. (I've seen other complaints, but never experienced them myself.)

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Any updated info on this yet?

• 44 months ago
  • 2 points

Have you looked into adding Memory Express for Canadians?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the information!

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info; this actually might impact my day job too :(

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh no! Were you a TD employee?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, but my business buys a lot of products from TD, especially ones that might be thought of as "personal" rather than "business" oriented. I'm worried that their inventory will change as a result of this move.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

From what it seems like the online portion will stay.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The TigerDirect store in Hoffman Estates, IL definitely seemed ready to close down. There is no mention of "closing" but EVERYTHING in the store was 10-20% off.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I have definitely heard more bad things than good things about tiger direct...

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I wondered why they never showed up in the listing!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - I was not aware of this - and am certainly VERY glad to know now!

much appreciated, meowbrowncat

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

It's been 8 months, and I've ordered several components from TD in that span (as recently as last week), and everything seems like business as usual. The original CNN article isn't even at that link anymore. Time to bring back the TD prices? Please?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

We're ready to re-add TigerDirect, but we're waiting on some answers about their data feed. It has some issues that need to be addressed before we can list prices at the accuracy we want.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Very cool, thanks for this.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

It is good to hear that Tiger Direct listings will be returning. I have ordered numerous items from them in the last couple of months, and I have been impressed with their service. They seem competitive on some items, and a bit high on other items.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I really want frys on here. I would make this site flawless.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

You aren't kidding. The closest frys to me is an hr+ away :( All we have here is Best Buy and Altex really (and Altex has such limited supplies)..

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

So thats means "we will close all shops and stop selling stuff"

Right?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

All TigerDirect distribution centers will shut down next February.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

TigerDirect's website is now a redirect loop and appears to be indicative of their new parent's initiative to offline the site in early Feb 2016.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

We were also informed a few weeks ago that they had terminated affiliate agreements.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

A shame, but their loss in the market, is another's gain... in this case, likely Bust Buy.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Shotgun MSI dream build "Greased Lightning" As to tiger direct they have cleared out their stock in the US. Looks like to me they either found a market more worthwhile then American public individual consumers or they must be really trying to meet that 10% line. May be they're in the running for a major contract deal and it will take up so much of their stock that they had to cut back? They where acquired by PCM in 2015 along with their holding company Systemax. I can't find any info on Tiger's profitability but this same company also had CompUSA and circuit city so that gives a general idea of what's been happening for a while. I don't think they're coming back as Tiger Direct.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering this was almost a year ago, and their online retail seems to still be going strong, can we get this relisted?

NewEgg, Amazon, and Tigerdirect are my preferred places to purchase parts from online

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

They will not be relisted - from our side it looks like they are shutting things down. They terminated all their affiliate agreements as well (within the last month).

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, hm, I hadn't caught that part. Thanks for the rapid reply, I really appreciate that!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Funny how I'd never heard of TigerDirect

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I used Tiger Direct extensively several years ago when I built my last PC and always found them to have good deals on things at the wrong time. I actually became curious about them recently because I had stopped receiving their daily deal emails a few months ago. When I went to the site the other day, it was definitely different from how I remember it being. I've always used the online store though since there never was a retail store in NE Ohio. Sadly, I moved away from them after I discovered Micro Center and wouldn't likely be using TD anymore anyway.

• 44 months ago
  • 0 points

Considering that Tiger Direct screwed up charging me for an SSD, and the package tracking claims that the part is "Wiating for drop shippers" since 11/22, I have to say this was a smart move. Smarter than me for ordering anything from them.

I've been on hold with them for 21 minutes and counting now. The live chat function of their website doesn't work.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube