add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mail-In Rebates?

spankyboy0710
  • 62 months ago

Hi guys, I have been using this site for a few weeks now to narrow down my choices for a new build. I notice a lot of deals include mail-in rebates. I've always heard mixed things on mail-in rebates. I was wondering how you guys fared with them from the particular retailers linked on this site?

The main reason I'm asking is because I found two seemingly great deals on Windows 7 at Tiger Direct. I just learned that MS will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10, so I'm gladly skipping Windows 8.1 for my new build. Check out this deal with an insane mail-in rebate. I couldn't care less about the other software, but getting Windows for $40 or $50 with a free Windows 10 upgrade seems like a no brainer, I just don't want to get shafted out of the rebate due to a technicality. It also says some or all of the rebate will come in the form of a prepaid card? Thanks for any guidance!

$70 rebate, $50 total: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9554946&csid=_22

$140 rebate, $40 total: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9561665&csid=_61

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

1-the tiger direct combo main in rebates I HATE! To get a huge part of the total rebate you install the McAfee multi Use Security and give your credit card information so that you will be auto billed. <----

2-Rebates in general. I have a 100% success rate with main in rebates. You need to make sure you read the fine print, buy the right product, send in the correct required information, and make all copies for your record. Don't expect rebates to get mailed to you in 8-12 weeks, may take longer in some cases. If you are patience, you will get your rebate.

3-Rebate have you go to the rebate submission web site so the process will start before you even cut out your UPC label, or fill out the rebate forum. The nice thing here is you "have a record" of your rebate started.

4-Now days, you can pay a small fee to get an instant rebate mailed out. (AX debit card), or wait for paper check in the mail.

I am always looking for the right item, at the right price with or without rebates. On my recent build, ASROCK X99 OC Formula Motherboard had a price drop + $50 rebate. I could not refuse. X99 high end MB for $239.

I will continue to use rebates in the future without thinking about it :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have heard tiger direct asks you to sign up for things when you use their mail-in rebates. (i may be mistaken)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

$70 rebate, $50 total: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9554946&csid=_22

Okay, so $10 of that rebate is for Windows (which is pretty straightforward), and the other $60 is for McAfee, which seems nice until you click through on the rebate details and see this:

How to Qualify for your McAfee Rebate: 1. Purchase a qualifying McAfee product listed below from TigerDirect between 2/15/2015 and 2/28/2015. 2. To qualify for this rebate you must: + Install McAfee Multi Access. (Instructions Below in Special Instructions) + Enroll in the Auto Renewal feature. (Valid credit card required) + Stay enrolled in the Auto Renewal feature for the first 10 months of the subscription.

So you won't see that $60 for about a year. Since McAfee is ****, I wouldn't regard this as a good deal.

It appears you can still get the $10 Windows rebate without having to buy McAfee as well.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow. I wasn't even going to install the McAfee software. It appears they're on to that scheme, ha. Well, that settles it. Thank you for pointing out that fine print, I didn't see it the first time.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

well there are ways of getting genuine copies of windows for $20.....

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Beside this particular example, I'm also interested in hearing about the relative success/failure of getting the mail-in rebates offered on a lot of deals.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube