add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

when to buy

FloresJ
  • 63 months ago

I just wanted to know when is the best time to buy parts. When are there usually deals on parts or is it just all through out the year different parts might get some kind of deal going on at random. And is there any new parts coming out this year as in maybe a new kind of mobo,gpu,CPU, etc that I could benefit of. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/FloresJ/saved/hDVCmG

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

If you have a microcenter near you, they usually have really good deals for mobo, cpu combos. Sometimes they include RAM in those packs as well.

Newegg and Amazon also advertise "bundles" but 99% of the time the savings is either $0 or less than $20 savings.

For new stuff, I think March/April the new 300 series from Radeon is suppose to come out. Everyone keeps talking about a 8 gig release for the 900 series by Nvidia but I have not seen anything yet.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

You have to watch various deal sites, bfads.net is good for some pc deals. Join a website that gives you cashback for Newegg and TigerDirect and Best Buy like ebates.com. Even if its only 1 percent its still free money you were spending otherwise. Look for special deals and rebates and coupons codes and use ebates. I rocked a OCZ 240 gig SSD for 34 dollars shipped. Got an HX850 corsair PSU for 84 dollars shipped. I'm big into saving money for something I know I got to buy and I will do everything in my power to make it as cheap as possible. I also just picked up the EVO 850 250 gig SSD for 79.99 shipped.
Also check out discounted gift cards on sites like raise.com, Every item I purchase I buy a discounted gift card for it first if they have one on raise.com. American Eagle they had over 20 percent off. But stores like BestBuy were 5 percent off and Newegg for only 1 percent so I usually leave those go but still use ebates for everything.

Check out my identical saved parts list for what I paid versus the current best deal out there. Almost 500 cheaper for a 2k rig.

Here is a 10 dollar coupon for tigerdirect.com for any order over a hundred. Just enter your email, they send you a link via that email then proceed to buy your item. At the very end they will know ten off it. I used it three times already. http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/include/events/2014/TD_Discount/happyanniversary.asp

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/gregkillborn/saved/ all prices were with tax and shipping included.

Also the reason why stuff was so cheap around Thanksgiving is because it was Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The best times for deals of the year. bfads.net and check out the ad scans of black Friday 2014. Micro Center, Fry's electronics, best buy, Newegg, tiger direct all had amazing sales and you can go back and look at those ads and see that most of the stuff was cheaper than, than it is now.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I know what you mean, you have to look at the bang for your buck or cost to performance ratio. I got my graphics card for 297 after Mail in Rebate and now its 370 everywhere if not more.
Make sure you are buying your motherboard and CPU at micro center together at the same time online than pick up in store. There prices were much higher in store than It would be 199.99 cpu and 109.99 for your motherboard before tax, that 40 dollar combo is huge, to bad there is tax. Your graphics cards are also going to be pushed outa date. But the 970 or 290x is a heck of a card. SO you will be good for a while.
If you are getting that card I would suggest a little bit more of a power supply. At least a 750 watt. Newegg runs some decent deals every few days with the power supplies, the same goes for the memory (wait till it goes on sale than buy) . You also need a SSD big time, dont pay full price for one either. They usually run Samsung EVO's for good deals every now and again. The SSD's also will not go out of date in the next year, till the next wave comes out. I will keep a look out and send you some messages with the deals.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The best time to buy anything is either 2 weeks before, or 3 days after, you buy.

Right at the end of 2014, after weeks of deliberation and ensuring it wouldn't harm my contribution to the family budget for early 2015, I bought the components for my new system. While doing so, I noticed that several items had-been available for lower cost just-before I was ordering, and since them a couple items I bought have dropped, even if only for a few days, by a noticeable margin.

There will ALWAYS be new stuff coming out, for everything. For example, I've read that in late Q1 GPU makers will release a new round of GPUs using a new, even-smaller process, resulting in more transistors on the same die-space for higher performance and/or lower power use and/or lower heat generation. When that happens, the GPUs that are the current belles of the ball will be kicked to the curb like streetwalkers, and their prices will drop, noticeably and at the same time.

DjB

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

In 2014 at least, Thanksgiving week appeared to be a good week for getting overall decent prices. I started putting together my build the week prior, then watched all the prices go up on the Saturday after and stay there. I thought, "Oh, no biggie, there'll be after-${WINTER_HOLIDAY} specials," but no, they never materialized. In my case, the biggest offender was this... er, case, which almost doubled in price between Thanksgiving and ${WINTER_HOLIDAY}.

So I've been keeping a close eye on individual parts. Once one of them drops 10% or more below its recent historical average, I grab it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason why stuff was so cheap around Thanksgiving is because it was Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The best times for deals of the year. bfads.net and check out the ad scans of black Friday 2014. Micro Center, Fry's electronics, best buy, Newegg, tiger direct all had amazing sales and you can go back and look at those ads and see that most of the stuff was cheaper than, than it is now.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you want to wait for black friday just buy your pc now, unless you know how to determine the market. I've been watching it and right now pc parts are rising since the market is recovering from all the sales and new pc parts are going to be coming. I watched the market for over 2 years now so I knew how to buy at the right moments, bought a $1200 pc for $580 so it all really depends. I bought parts over the course of a year and it worked out since I just built it last week. It's just better to buy your parts now if you can afford it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Microcenter has a deal "Build your PC for the month".. February

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I built a new system (X99/5960X/DDR4, etc) between 10/30 and Thanksgiving. I found everything I picked out. I watched the ads daily and saved myself $1600 from paying full retail, tax at retail. The key is watching ads "daily" as some of the hot deals are limited time period, like 24 hours, 2 days, etc.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube