add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions wanted on my proposed build

Scrounger

60 months ago

I've been out of the building game for a while (like 20 years), so I'm looking for opinions on this build. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Scrounger/saved/bjn8TW

Let me know what you think. If this goes well, I'll be using this template to build 4 office computers in the future.

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems a bit imbalanced...

While the G3258 is a good (if not the best) budget CPU, that 16GB RAM and GTX 750ti seems to indicate a "workstation" type of usage (CAD, media editing...). If you're going for a "workstation" build, you'll most likely want at least an i5, if not an i7 CPU. If you're going for general office usage (Word, Powerpoint, Excel...), you can get away with integrated graphics and 8GB of ram (though, with the money you save, go with an i5...).

You're not going to need a Noctua D14 for a G3258 either; they can be OC'd to >4GHz on the stock cooler from what I've seen. I don't think it would even fit in the case anyway...

That M.2 drive seems to be a great item even compared to standard (SATA) SSDs.

Hope this helps you out.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I have some suggestions since I think you can get a much better PC for that price. Consider something like this list below. It is very similar to your proposed build, but it has a much better CPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $187.88 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $115.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory *Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $124.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $71.68 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card $129.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $879.49
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-09 12:06 EST-0500

You said you would be building office computers, so will they be used solely for office applications, or will there be some gaming mixed in?

If you want to be able to do some light gaming here and there, I think that's a good build. However if you just need this for office work and productivity, consider downgrading or eliminating the GPU and going with an i7.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I should explain the logic behind a $60 CPU with a $90 coooler and $140 in RAM. You're right, it appears very imbalanced.

This listed build will be the test computer, using the G3258 for the house. I wanted to check all parts compatibility, ease of building at home before building the workstations. For the house, the cooler, and RAM are overkill, but I could use the 750Ti.

The office computers are expected to be I7-4790K's with no other part changes. They will need the RAM for very large (and slow)quickbooks files they use. Worse, this gets CPU encrypted whenever stored. Both Quickbooks and encrypting love CPU GHz.

I like the I7 because it starts at 4GHz, and climbs from there. I'm shooting for a stable 4.5-4.7 GHz. The D14 cooler was intended for silence and reliability. During Tax season, someone will man each computer for up to 12 hours a day, hopefully in relative peace otherwise. Will the D14 fit? Three others have done it. From what I can tell, the D14 needs to have the rear fan installed at the back of the case inside a Node 304.

I am struggling whether to keep the GPU in the build or not. Each work station will have 3 or 4 monitors. The reasons for throwing it in are: 1. Its powered from the MB (so no additional cabling) and 2. I'd rather spend another $120 then tear into 4 cramped workstations later if I'm wrong.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, so really this is an i7-4790K build, but you are going to build yourself one with a Pentium for personal use first to see if you like the other parts?

It seems that if nothing else you could at least save some money on RAM for the Pentium test rig. Installing 16GB is no different than installing 8GB, so you'll still get a feel for the parts without spending unnecessarily.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube