add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I still boot after getting a new motherboard?

Brometheus7

57 months ago

I am planning on replacing my current motherboard, a B85M-E/CSM, with an ASUS Z97. Will I still be able to boot Windows 8.1 off of the same hard drive, or will it make me format my hard drive and lose everything I currently have? (the hard drive I'm currently using does have windows 8.1 installed already)

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as the operating system is still on the hard drive I see no problems, though you should uninstall the current board's drivers, before doing so, and install the the new board's drivers after.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, what will uninstalling my current board's drivers do just out of curiousity? And is it absolutely necessary?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

It will make sure there are no driver conflicts with your new motherboard's hardware.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

is it just all the drivers listed in device manager?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

well actually that wouldn't hurt since you have to remove all your hardware to switch it to the new motherboard. but most of them are with windows generic drivers anyway, just the non-windows manufactured drivers is my guess.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube