add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A6-7400k - "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" problem <1FPS

shavashav

57 months ago

I've posted this problem to Tom's Hardware forums but have not received a solution. The forums are so busy my post was buried in minutes so I thought I'd try out the ol' PCP. Please read the Tom's Hardware post for a more detailed overview of the problem and what steps I've taken so far:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2382585/7400k-recognizing-igpu-shows-basic-display-adapter-device-manager-fps.html

Specs

APU : A6-7400K wtih Radeon R5 Graphics

RAM: 4 GB 1600mHz

Motherboard: GA-F2A88XN-WIFI

Problem

Cannot install video card driver to take advantage of the iGPU. The device manager shows under display adapter that I only have the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" installed. Games like minecraft do not even open due to game not detecting a hardware accelerator. Modern games may open, but are basically unplayable at less than 1 FPS on the lowest settings and resolutions. The display's resolution is 1080p but it doesn't look like it. The Tom's Hardware post includes various screenshots showing all of this. Also my HDMI sound output doesn't work, showing not plugged in, although this could be unrelated.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken

• Uninstalled all AMD and cataltyst drivers software
  • Re-installed AMD and catalyst drivers and software (sometimes with CCC and sometimes without, as I heard this is can be issue)
  • Repeated first two steps with about a dozen different versions of the catalyst software (Versions 3.9 through to the latest beta version 4.11.2). Rebooting after each uninstall and re-install.
  • Uninstalled and re-installed the chipset drivers for my motherboard, various revisions. Even ripped the mobo's CD so I could load it off a USB to get their intended chipsets but that didn't help either.
  • Browsed for driver when tried to updated "display adapter" driver manually but my computer doesn't detect it.
  • Installing the drivers for the R5 230 in hopes that that might work.

I always get an error that the video card driver could not be installed when installing catalyst. What am I doing wrong? Does this APU just not have compatible drivers? Anyone experience this? I feel like Ive been ripped off. Please help! Built this for a friend and he's not happy with it so far. I dont want to turn him off of computers as this is his first one.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

I would install a fresh copy of windows.... Also consider installing the 64 bit version. Lets see what happens after that.

edit: Also update the bios on the motherboard.. think F4 is the latest one

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

That was my next troubleshooting step. I have a copy of Windows 7 64 bit I'm going to try when I get home from work. I'll let you know how it goes!

My BIOS is the latest version, F4

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you nailed pegotico! Installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7, then installed all the gigabyte drivers (minus the realtek audio driver), then I installed AMD's driver auto detect program and it got me the proper Catalyst software and drivers for my APU. Games are running smooth and I even have sound! Can't believe I wasted so much time on this nonsense, but hopefully this helps someone else in the future!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

great!!!!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube