add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build, Powers On but Heat Sink Fan Doesn't Turn, No Monitor

viscanrente

57 months ago

All of the case fans turn, LED lights are on, GPU fans are on. No monitor through GPU or through mobo, and the heat sink fan isn't turning.

The heat sink is lifted from an Optiplex, so maybe not compatible (and a replacement is on the way). But would this prevent the monitor from getting a signal?

i5-4570, ECS B85H3-M mobo, NZXT Source 210, Sapphire R9 280x

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Likely that the motherboard is not recognizing the heat sink fan and is not powering up the cpu for safety reasons.

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm hoping for the OP's sake that this is the case. Otherwise it's the second option and it actually detected a fan that for some reason wouldn't spin and he fried his CPU.

OP, if you hadn't bought an aftermarket cooler for your system you could have at least used the heatsink that came with the processor, they are junk, but they are compatible junk with fans that are tested to run before they leave the factory.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's hoping. Thanks so much for the replies, I'll let you know how it goes when the aftermarket cooler gets here tomorrow. The chip and fan were salvages from a system that had other problems, so maybe no loss.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah I was unaware that the CPU was used, as it's a fairly recent one that is commonly used in gaming systems. Quite a "salvage" hopefully it wasn't damaged by lack of a fan.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

You used thermal paste right?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. New proper cooler installed...did some more trouble shooting and turns out it's the GPU that's the problem. I removed the GPU, put in an older, smaller graphics card, and everything works.

Any way to fix the R9 280x, or is it hosed? With it plugged in to an otherwise fine system, I get no monitor at all, and it seems to be shorting out the power (fans start for a bit, turn off, then come back on, repeat). Power seems to be plugged in correctly to the card, it's a 750W supply, it's firmly seated. Argh.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube