add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

black screen when playing game or launching game.

ianstough

57 months ago

getting black screen when playing WOW.

just built this rig about 4 days ago. as rock h97 pro4 i5 4460 power cooler radeon r9 280x 1 stick 8gb team elite ddr3 adata 128gb ssd toshiba 1TB corsair cx600m nzxt s340 case

when my computer has been off for a good time the game will run for about 15 minutes, then my screen will go black and ill have to manually reboot. after i reboot i try and log back into wow and the computer gets black screen right upon launch. and continues to do so after every restart. gpu temp is good. cpu temp is good. monitor resolution and game resolution are not high and are matching. i dont know what to do. all drivers are up to date as well. im lost and need help.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

You should try getting dual-channel memory. It could prove to be more reliable.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be that your RAM module is defect and that it is generating the random black screens, see if you know someone with working RAM and try to swap it for your RAM module. If this solved your problem than you should return the RAM to the manufacturer as RAM always has lifetime waranty and will be replaced with a new module.

The second option could be that the heatsink of your CPU doesn't touch your CPU enough and that a sudden spike in heat can trigger the thermal limit of the CPU and therefor shutting down the CPU. I had this problem with an AMD Athlon X4 760 and it sounds exactly like the same problem.

The solution could be adding new (better) thermal paste or an aftermarket cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube