add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI H97I AC wireless issues

monkeybars

58 months ago

Did anyone else find the wireless in this motherboard absolutely rubbish?

My old computer has a PCI-E 1X D-Link Wireless N card and downloaded at about 3.5 MB/s from Steam (never ran a Speedtest, so that's really my only barometer). My new build, with this motherboard and the integrated wireless, gets maybe 1 MB/s, and is constantly dropping to zero and disconnecting briefly, despite the computers being placed in the exact same place and an allegedly full signal.

My laptop, which obviously doesn't have external antennas, doesn't have any problems when it's right next to the box, so I imagine the culprit is the Intel Mini PCI wireless card that's included on the board. If I bring the box down next to the router, it's fine and speeds go back up.

I've done all the troubleshooting I can, but I'm just going to break down and get a powerline connection.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

the best thing to do is completely uninstall the driver and re-instal it. this usualy solves 90% of issues. if the problem persist you can try looking into the router as there may be something prioritizing the traffic

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Done it a few times. I think it's just a crappy adapter, from what I've read.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

also make sure your drivers are up to date go to the manufacture of the wireless card to get the most up to date driver. i.e. intel/broadcom

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

That would be the first thing I did.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Just a simple question (maybe a bit to simple) but did you install the antennas which came with the motherboard?

• If not, well install them :P
  • If you did, try pointing them towards your router. This should improve transferspeed and connectivity.

The antennas in your notebook and the antennas on your motherboard work a bit different. You have to imagine the notebook antennas as a giant sphere if the router is within this shpere it will connect just fine. However the antennas on the back of your motherboard are more like beams, the beam of the motherboard antenna and the router have to interact with each other.

That is why you have to point the antennas towards the router.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, definitely did install them, and I've pointed them towards my router as much as possible -- I'm not going to rearrange my entire room when I can just get powerline (which I ended up doing).

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to hear, also powerline is so much better!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube