add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build worked well for about a week; now gives black screen at boot. (No BIOS/UEFI or similar)

Persilja

61 months ago

The part list is the following http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MKsFHx (except that the RAM is a G.Skill - it was cheaper at the time).

It worked well as I booted it in the beginning, and I used it with Linux Fedora for about a week, but when I tried to wake it from a suspended state this morning, it would only give a black screen. A hard reboot didn't make any difference - the lights on the case lights up, the fans spins up, the keyboard LEDs can be toggled as usual, but the monitor is still pitch black. No BIOS or similar appears.

1. The monitor doesn't warn about disconnected cables (DVI, by the way), and works well with my old computer, so I doubt it's a problem with the monitor.
  2. I tried to remove the graphics card and use the integrated graphics - same result (negative).
  3. Disconnecting hard drives and booting, same result.

What would be the next step in the troubleshooting sequence?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Does DVI cable work with monitor on other PC? Did you try hitting delete key on boot up to see if you can get in bios screen. Try one memory stick at a time in ddr2 or ddr4 slot. If it boots up with one memory stick then the other one is no good.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, the delete key during boot was successful! Now I just wonder if I should ascribe this to a problem in Fedora, or a problem somewhere between keyboard and chair :p

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Most likely a update caused a driver issue... Did you do any updates between the last time it booted right and when this happened? Being Linux, it wouldn't have to be the video drivers directly, it could also be a dependency for them or even the boot loader or kernel. Try to reinstall Fedora and see if the installer works correctly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube