add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

installed windows 8.1 OEM on wrong hard drive

clutch_master

57 months ago

building my first PC and I had both an SSD and regular HD connected in comp. When I loaded the windows disk in it only recognized the HD when choosing where to install. I just went ahead with the install anyway at that point because there wasn't a cancel option.

What is the best way to go about getting windows on the SSD. I know there is software to transfer it but that seems like stuff could go wrong with that.

Could I just unplug the HD and boot up with just the SSD connected and install windows again on that? Then reconnect the HD and reformat it so its blank again.

Would any issue arise from doing it this way? Thanks.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Just wipe the current drive and install it on the right one. Windows doesn't care how many times or what drive you install it on as long as you have a valid code.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Could I just unplug the HD and boot up with just the SSD connected and install windows again on that? Then reconnect the HD and reformat it so its blank again.

Yes. Yes.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Well as it already is installed I suggest downloading a cloning tool, with these tools you can copy an exact image of the HDD to the SSD. Therefore you won't have any issues with your Windows Licence as you are using an OEM which can only be activated once.

Just google Clone HDD to SSD and you will find things like: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

ok I'm getting conflicting responses. Can I reinstall my windows or not? Isn't it tied to the motherboard not the HD?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends whether or not you had the PC connected to the internet.

• If you did have it connected to the internet the registration key has been used up. If so, try the clone method.

• If you didn't have it connected to the internet you can use the key again, as Windows doesn't know that you have used it. If so, install Windows on the SSD.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

ok cool. What about if I deactivate windows first. Could I then reinstall? thanks.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube