add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, Powers up, then turns right off and cycles

Hudinio

58 months ago

Last night, I finished putting together my first build. After feeling confident that I completed everything, I plugged in in the PSU and hit the power button on the case. Everything powered on, then quickly shut off, and began to repeat this process.

I sat completely upset that this happened and began to search these forums for answers. I tested the PSU by jump starting it and ruled it out as the issue. I removed everything from the Mobo except the CPU and ram, and tried again, and it was doing the same thing. I removed the CPU and noticed that a few of the pins were bent (picture below).

I'm not sure how this happened as I was very gentle placing the CPU and closing the latch. The only thing I can think was when I placed the cooler on, I did not tighten the screws as evenly as I thought.

Never-the-less I submitted an RMA for my Mobo and came home from work to package it up and get ready to ship it out tomorrow.

I decided to try to removed one stick of RAM since that came up in a thread I was reading. I removed the stick in DIMM slot 2 and tried to power it up. It worked and stayed on. I tested a bunch of combinations between the DIMM slots, and found that the PC will only stay on with one stick in either DIMM 3 or 4, and can not have a stick in DIMM 1 or 2.

Could the bent pins in the CPU socket be the culprit of this? Can I run two sticks of RAM in the same channel instead of Dual Channel?

http://imgur.com/su3H4pt

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $33.03
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $146.99
Memory Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $71.99
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $80.99
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $349.99
Case Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99
Power Supply Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $39.34
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1167.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-12 19:16 EST-0500

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Could the bent pins in the CPU socket be the culprit of this?

Possible, since the memory controller is in the processor.

Can I run two sticks of RAM in the same channel instead of Dual Channel?

Yes. With that said, clear the CMOS and test each stick individually in memory slot 2. Perhaps only one of the stick is defective.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried to clear the CMOS, and no change to the situation. I can get the computer running with either one stick of RAM in slots 3 or 4, or both in 3 and 4. I should note that the motherboard did not come with a jumper in the box. I removed the battery and left it out for a few minutes and replaced it.

The computer will not boot into the bios screen.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Mobo suspect.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Last night I finally got it working. I didn't realize that if the GPU is installed I can not connect to the HDMI port on the Mobo. When I connected to the GPU the BIOS came up.

I still can not run the RAM in dual channel. Is it a huge difference running it in the same channel vs dual-channel? If not I think I'm ready to install Windows unless there is something else I can try.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

...channel vs dual-channel?

Negligible difference between single channel vs dual channel. With that said, safer to just RMA the mobo in case there are other issues.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube