add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

evga gtx 970 coil whine

JJJYXMR

58 months ago

so i had to make some changes in my pc. and it was things such as cable management and fixing the drive cage.

i had to remove the gpu so i could properly unscrew and screw the drive cages in.

i'd run about 31 Celsius on idle but now my gpu is running at 50 on idle.

what i did with my gpu was i removed the 12pin vga cables and then i removed the gpu.

then i did what i needed and when i installed everything back in it's been running like this.. i have no idea why but maybe it's a matter of luck and my luck ran out because i didn't have any coil whine till i removed it and installed it.

and one thing to note is that before i removed it the only time i'd get coil whine is when i passed about 1,500fps. such as game server selections.

any suggestions? i thought maybe it was the placement of the vga cables since it's 3/3-/3/3 i decided to switch them around and it didn't help. removed the gpu again and installed it in and nothing...

sigh i should i have just left it messy and left the drive cage alone...any suggestions? besides gluing the coils or putting nail polish over them..

thinking of running valley or heaven benchmarks or even just leaving a server selection screen overnight so it whines all night and maybe for fps around 300 it'll go away like it did before? i need help pleas it's really annoying now after not having it

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

honestly I don't think removing a gpu is going to be the cause of coil whine..... Its more of a problem with EVGA and the 970s. I would RMA the card.

http://forums.evga.com/Anybody-else-have-crazy-coil-whine-on-their-EVGA-gtx-970-ACX-10-m2221327.aspx

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

You're actually right about the heatpipes not lining up with the GPU properly. I shouldve waited to see your post but I took the GPU apart took some pictures and then I removed the thermal paste on both sides and then added my own. It helped by 10 degrees but it doesn't change the coil whine. I'm thinking of liquid cooling it if I can't rma it. And the thing is that's what I thought as well what if its the power supply. And the thing is it onl happened right after I took it out which is mind boggling because I didn't change anything else.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been running a game screen like a selection screen which gives me around 2k ffp overnight so I'm going to see if it helped at all.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

wow....

i called evga to call in for an rma... and i mentioned your post and how there are cards out there with misaligned heat gpu/heatpipes...

idk if i'm stupid or right but the guy helping me tells me it was created like that. it was designed to only fit 2 heatpipes lol...

and he also tells me average temperature is at 40-50c lol...

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

they are so stupid, this was a problem they already had and ignored. SO did the guy try justifying that the coil whine was ok with that model?lol What a great service.... for some reason they came with a new revision so early..

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

he didn't justify it but he made it seem as if it was nothing.

i guess thermal paste being in contact with only two heatpipes is part of their "design" lol... my temperatures after applying mx4 was reduced but slightly. i'm not getting coil whine while playing cod ghosts which i guess is good but there are games that i play that run past 200fps so i need to get that checked out.. i was thinking and i can be completely wrong but do you think but overclocking my gpu and leaving the voltage where it is will help with the coil whine?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

strange..coil wwhine should worsen when gpu is at load. Have you tried creating a fan profile with msi afterburner?

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-970-Coil-Whine-Concerns

also

http://www.evga.com/articles/00876/EVGAs-Got-Your-Back/

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

i haven't tried creating a fan profile actually. is a tad annoying but very manageable to start up afterburner for the fan profile though. if it works then i'll stick with it. and that's the thing i was thinking of using a hot glue gun for the coils but i'm not entirely sure exactly which coils i need to glue and if my coils are even open. i haven't checked when i opened it up to install my own mx4 thermal paste. was a bit nerve racking but i pulled through it. wouldn't want to do it again without knowing if i can hot glue gun it for sure.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

just pulling at straws but do you think it's possible that the gpu is getting too much power or something? it's going fron 2(2x4) to 2(2x3) psu to gpu. is that right? i have a gpu of 750w for a system that doesn't surpass 400 yet so do you think that can be a factor? what confuses me is why is it happening now after i made the minor modifications. and i also looked at the placement of the vga cables in the psu and they were in 2 and 4 ports for vga and although it's just a change i just put it to 1 and 2 but still no luck and the same problem.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

i'm not sure how this works but i was running msi kombustor 3 for benchmarks and was getting over 300 fps.. no coil whine but when playing a game with 200+ fps i was getting slight coil whine. i guess what i did sorta helped but i'm just confused now as to what the difference is between an actual game and msi kombustor. will be running valley and heaven next

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube