add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build starts, won't output to monitor

jeffsoko86

58 months ago

My new build powers on for about 10-20 seconds, then it shuts down and starts back up and stays powered indefinitely. My problem is that it won't output to the monitor for me to set up the BIOS. I've tried the onboard graphics as well as the graphics card and I've also tried every possible cord for the monitor.

Build: Intel i7-4790k Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb x2 DDR3 MSI micro ATX Z97M-G43 GTX 770 4gb Corsair CX750 ATX 80

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming the monitor works on another PC through the connection you are trying to use. Have you removed everything one by one? As in, no drives connected, just CPU/cooler and RAM? You might see it post.

The reason I ask is that my PC does a similar thing if my powered USB hub is connected and plugged in. If I unplug the wall wart for the USB hub it boots normally. If I have it in the fans fire up for a few seconds then it all powers down. So... when I have to restart the computer... until I get a new USB hub, I have to unplug the wart every time. Not a huge deal since I just log off and let it standby most of the time anyway.

Have you tried updating the BIOS using a USB stick or whatever? I've heard of mobos that don't do this generation with a BIOS update first. I've heard you have to put an earlier CPU in to update the BIOS then put the new one in... I'm amazed if you really do have to but I've been amazed before.

• 58 months ago
  • 0 points

sounds like bad motherboard.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. This is the conclusion I've slowly been coming to.

• 58 months ago
  • 0 points

Sorry for your troubles and good luck. Let me know how the msi support is. Ive heard good things

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube