add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer powers on for a moment, Fans and LED's turn on for a second then shuts off.

chanceupantsu

58 months ago

I'm positive everything is plugged in correctly. Everything was working fine until my new GPU came in and I went to install it and when unplugging the 4 pin CPU power cable everything stopped working. I have a video as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or2I2LcyVAM&list=UUmLh4OC4QxJSoBSv3GglcVQ

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

What happens when you remove the GPU and try to boot? What do you mean by and unplugging the 4 pin CPU cable? That has to be plugged in.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Refer to my other reply in this thread.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol don't unplug the cpu power to substitute for not having another connector for the gpu. If your powerfully dosent have enough connectors for everything don't unplug to substitute.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

No dude, when I was unplugging the cpu power to unplug all the cables andremoving everything from the case so i can begin the process of putting in the gpu but I heard a spark. and it was connected to the powersuppy while it's switch wasn't off and plugged into the wall.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Why were you doing that while the computer was plugged in to the wall and the switch was on? That's basic common sense. Anyway, you probably did something to the motherboard or the Powersupply. I would go through the return and RMA process for the motherboard and Powersupply first and then put your old cpu and gpu in to the new motherboard and Powersupply and see if it works and if it dosent it's your cpu or gpu you messed up being stupid.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

You're an idiot.

First you could have been electrocuted by messing with the computer while it's still plugged in. Second there's no need to remove the motherboard from a case to install the GPU, in fact the motherboard needs to be in the case to make sure the back slots line up.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll admit I was a little intoxicated but I would have had to remove the motherboard to put it in regardless because the gpu was so huge it could only fit in the I/O plate by being put in a certain way.

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Based on my own experience it sounds like a failed PSU. I've had 3 go and they pretty much did the same thing. Just a guess though.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

What if the PSU successfully does the paperclip test? I really doubt the second PSU is damaged as well.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Like I said it was a guess bcos I've seen those symptoms. One easy way to find out it put it in another rig or go to a repair place and see if they will do it as a favor. Wouldn't take 5 minutes.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Hah, Tiger Direct wanted me to pay them 120 bucks just to look at it.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I've narrowed it down to being either the CPU or the MOBO being the problem because it DID power on once but then it didn't turn on again when I turned it off to put in the GPU

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube