add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

my psu is ticking, what does that mean??? its scary

MR.MR

58 months ago

i posted a couple weeks ago in a thread about a faint tick my pc had and i didnt know what it was. someone in that thread suggested it may be the psu which i never thought of. once i listened to it though, and got close with my lack of pc troubleshooting knowledge, i determined that the faint noise is indeed coming from the psu. what the hell does it mean? why must it taunt me?

please help. here is the link to that old thread i was talking about in case anyone cares. http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/54446-my-first-tick-my-first-build

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

If your PSU has a metal fanguard, make sure it's on tight, it could be rattling with vibration from the fan spinning.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

It might just be the fan bearing, but in my opinion the only sensible advice is get it out of your computer and leave it out. Is it the Antec basiq in your saved list? If so 10% of the reviews on Newegg are one egg.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

no its a corsair tx650m, and on corsair's website it says: "An ultra-quiet, 140mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow with exceptionally low noise levels by varying fan speed in response to temperature" so idk if it would be the bearing unless its a manufacturing defect. it has over 4 years left on the warranty though so maybe i should just send it in to them and see what they think. it doesnt seem to be a problem though performance wise so i may just hold out for a little

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 3 points

SUPER helpful. thanks for your input.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry was just cruising threw Google trying to find similar sounds and seems to be psu.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

mines more like a phone on vibrate sound. or a card in a bicycle tire. idk, it really doesnt seem to be effecting anything though. not even under 70%+ load

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

when you touch your psu while ticking, do you feel the tick? maybe a hdd? im interested in this noise

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

no i cant feel it, and if it is my hdd then there is some crazy echo in this case

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait I think I know what it is. If it sounds like a sheet of plastic about the same hardness as a playing card being held against the fan, that's exactly what it is, Corsair PSUs have a thin clear plastic divider inside some of their PSU's to redirect airflow, if that came loose, it may actually be hitting the fan blades inside your PSU. It's probably barely touching the back of the blades so they rub against it but it doesn't stop them, just like the card.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

sounds logical! any ideas on how to fix?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube