add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Alright, I need some serious help here.

lameskydiver

59 months ago

Hey guys,

I just build my PC, and then ofc I installed my OS into my computer and until then everything seemed so fine. I installed Win 7 Ult x64, and the installation was successful, so I installed all the drivers I need and then restarted my computer because of the Windows Updates. But then something really terrible happened.

When my PC rebooted, my keyboard and my mouse wouldn't budge. The same keyboard and mouse that worked few seconds ago suddenly decides to not work anymore. So since then I kind of panicked, and did all the stuffs I could have. Changing USB ports, using the old fashioned keyboard plug, EVERYTHING. At this time, my keyboard and my mouse worked in BIOS so I thought it was something corrupt either when I was installing windows or installing drivers. So I changed some setting where I thought it will help my keyboard and my mouse to work again, but what a surprise. Now the keyboard wouldn't even budge when I multiply click F2 to try to go into BIOS. What does this mean now? I CAN'T GET INTO BIOS NOW. So I tried more things.

Since I had the windows 7 on my USB, I tried to run system recovery using my USB... oh wait, I need BIOS for that :). Then somehow I was able to get into system recovery without BIOS, and still nothing worked. When I tried with the old fashioned plug, my mouse has finally worked. I ran the recovery and when it was finished I thought it was finally fixed, but I guess I am very wrong. I still can get into login screen, but nothing works. Can't get into BIOS either.

So to make this long text into short, my mouse and my keyboard wouldn't even budge now and I have no single access to BIOS.

I have no idea if this a right forum for it, but for now I think I need whatever answer to solve my problem.

My PC Specs:

CPU - i5 4590

Mobo - ASRock Z97 Pro4

16GB RAM

GPU - GTX 770

SSD - 120GB

HDD - 1T

Please guys, I need some serious help. If this has happened to you before, then I really do need the way you solved it.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Disconnect power cord from any power source, remove CMOS battery from mobo for about five minutes.
  • Disconnect all but the essentials only to test for POST.
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll make sure to reply the results tomorrow. It's night in my time so have to go bed now :)

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, consider trying another keyboard/mouse (preferably older), not as replacements, but just to use temporarily to install any missing drivers for the other ones and/or the ports they plug into (you may need USB 3.0 drivers, for example).

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the very late response. Forgot about this post for a while. I solved the issue by removing CMOS battery and placing it back in. Luckily, my motherboard had easier way to do this, and I just had to pull out some plastic part and place it into different pins to reset it. I decided to reinstall Win 7 with every HDD but my SDD unplugged, and now it works now. I am struggling with another issue, but this problem is solved.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

...some plastic part and place it into different pins to reset it...

Commonly referred to as a "jumper". That method works as well but not all mobos provide jumpers hence instructions for removal of CMOS battery instead. :)

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I know. I was lucky that my mobo had that jumper :P

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

If your keyboard and mouse are plugged into USB 3.0 ports try plugging them into 2.0 ports.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube