add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Router, Modem, and Ideal Internet Speeds

ThePickMan
  • 3 months ago

I'm looking to setup my own wireless internet for the first time using my own router and modem. I want to save money in the long run by not using the companies setup and learn how to deal with it myself.

Which models do you recommend that will last in the future? What specs should I look out for in judging which device is best?

Since I live alone and use the internet frequently on multiple devices, I decided to go with 100 mbps speeds. Is that enough or should I opt for more if I want to stream 4k videos and download large game files quickly? I don't often upload anything more than a couple high-res images but download a ton. I'm also located in a major US city so internet should be "plentiful".

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

100mbps would be a good speed to go with. I have a 75mbps plan and on a typical night, I have two 4K TVs, 3 or 4 phones, and a gaming computer running all at once, all on WiFi. I never experience any kind of buffering on any device even if my computer was downloading a game or an update. It's quite good and I'm happy with it.

It's also a good speed for downloading games. To put it into perspective, Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC is about 102GB in size. At a constant 100mbps, it would take 2.5 hours to download. So, let's call it about 3-3.5 hours if you have other devices streaming and using the internet at the same time. That isn't bad at all if you ask me. I have a friend whose only option for internet speed is a measly 6mbps and his ETA for RDR2 was over 2 days....

For a good router, I would absolutely get something that has a 5GHz signal option. 2.4GHz is longer range but 5GHz is far more powerful and way better for devices like laptops and phones. I say this because the router that my internet company gave me, did NOT have this option and it was terrible until I upgraded. I would also consider getting one that has MU-MIMO as it allows a Wi-Fi router to communicate with multiple devices simultaneously. This decreases the time each device has to wait for a signal and dramatically speeds up your network if multiple devices and people are using it.

Lastly, just make sure whatever router you choose, supports the speed of your internet at least and also provides the range that you need. Mine supports a total of 1200mbps (300mbps@2.4GHz + 867Mbps@5GHz) and that is plenty for me even if I decide to dramatically upgrade my internet speed.

I purchased the one below a couple of months ago and I'm quite impressed with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1CHFJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube