add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wifi 6 router

Leg3ndary
  • 3 months ago

I just got my fiber internet installed with 500mbps.

• My current wifi router is an Asus RT-N65R which only include a/b/g/n rated for 300mbps and 450mbps total on 2.4 and 5 bands.

• My PC has an onboard card that is AC with antennas for up to 867mbps.

• The sony smart TV I got last year says it has AC.

• living in small house with not that many devices

• My best speed test of the wireless has been ~60mbps, wired connection test has exceeded the 500mbps. I'm not expecting to get to 500mbps over the wireless but it seems there is room for improvement, especially after seeing speed tests on the new Samsung phone at 800+ mbps over wifi6.

I was looking at AX routers to leap frog my tech a bit. When upgraded, I'll make sure to have AX on the computer, and will probably be the only AX device for a long while, so I won't really be taking full advantage of the multi device aspect of that.

-Will I see a huge performance jump in going to AX on AC devices compared to the N or an AC router?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

You would probably see better performance (at expense of range and compatibility with ancient devices) out of your current router if you swap to broadcast N only. Worth trying. You would need to ensure a new router is properly configured anyway to get max speed, but the difference between 60mbps and 250ish is going to be more noticeable than between 250ish and 500ish.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I did some tinkering on the router and did set to 'N' only in the process to give that a try, it was set to auto before.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

which wireless band was that speed test on? how close are your neighbors? I would get a free wifi analyzer app to see if you're on the same channel as a neighbor. wifi N on 5Ghz should still be pretty fast if your signal is decent.

Also, are you using any of the QoS settings? Those generally take processing power and can limit bandwidth to an extent.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I've done a test on both 2.4 and 5 now. With both my desktop and a Surface Pro 4. When I have them set to "auto" they prefer to be on the 2.4Ghz side, so I have to force them to 5Ghz.

Desktop 2.4Ghz = 60mbps, 5Ghz = 50mbs Surface 2.4Ghz = 60mbs, 5Ghz = 130 mbs. I get fairly consistent results with walking around the house and only finally starts to drop of as physically far away as I can be, getting down to 80mbs on 5Ghz.

My router has the channels set to auto, on using one of the wifi analyzer apps can see the 2.4 channel is set somewhere that appears to have the least traffic my peak is straddling over a valley of other on channel 9. If something drops off I've seen it slide over open channels. Approximately 4-8 signals show depending on what is getting picked up.Signal strength here shows my router at approx -40 dBm. Switching to the 5Ghz spectrum I don't get any other wifi signals showing up , my router signal strength is showing in the range of -80 to -70 dBm

QoS is set to off

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube