add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cat 8 Where to find a Legit place to buy?

JamesJB
  • 4 months ago

Hi I am thinking about upgrading everything to 10G Network cards routers etc. Plus I plan to have a NAS etc.

My question is where can I find a place that is trustworthy to get Cat 8 RJ45 LAN Network Internet Cables?

I was going to get it from amazon but from some of the reviews I read its possible to get fake cables.

How do you tell if its fake before you buy?

So does anyone know of a good place to get Cat 8 RJ45 LAN Network Internet Cables that you know is Legit? I need at least 100ft and some 3 to 6 feet.

Edit; I have noticed on amazon for example the Cat 8 cables are really cheap but when i go to like newegg and Best buy sites I see that a 10ft cable is anywhere from like $35 on up the ones on Amazon for 100ft are like $54 is that cheap? Legit?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 6 points

For household ranges of 10G-BaseT, CAT6A usually works fine unless you have a very large house or have a lot of RF interference, in which case CAT7 works fine.

The CAT8 spec is overkill for what you're doing. I might spring for CAT7 on your longer runs but for your shorter 3-10 foot cables you could use slimline CAT6A patch cables.

If you're worried about "bogus" cables buy from MonoPrice instead. The CAT6A slimline 30AWG cables are great for <10ft patches and are dirt cheap. I use their 28AWG CAT6 in our patch panels at work for 1G applications with low power POE. Despite being "only" CAT6 I have used these on some 10G uplink ports and they work at 10G.

For longer runs, get shielded CAT7 to be certain.

For flushing money, they offer true CAT8 cables as well, if you feel so inclined. These is specified for 25Gbps/40Gbps, so overkill for what you're doing. A "fake" CAT8 cable from amazon would still probably work fine for most 10G applications as well.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Opened this thread to say literally the same thing, haha.

Monoprice is a great source for cable.

... And on the front page they now have coloured RJ45 connectors. I didn't need my connectors to be neon translucent pink before, but now I do.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it may be overkill but want to future proof too. Hopefully Cat 9 or what ever comes next don't come out for the next 4 or 5 years lol.

Curious I know there is 10G switches,Routers but what about 10G Cable Modems?

Btw I discovered 10Gbit OM3 Fiber but from what I read and saw on YouTube and if I understood correctly OM3 can't really go very far. plus its too expensive.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose if you're pulling cable through walls, it might make sense to give yourself some margin for "future proofing" but keep in mind that by the time anything over 10G is feasible over copper using CAT8, it's likely you'll have access to "5G" private wireless network technology or some future wifi version, which is likely to be 20+Gb anyway, so... May as well just use 6A for now.

The other issue, is that by the time 10G is actually due for upgrade, like 10-20 years from now (remember 1G to the desktop is approaching 20 years old and still going strong as a mainstream connection), it's highly unlikely that a higher specification of ethernet cable installed today will open any technological doors. By then, there is apt to be some other cable/connection/fiber/something standard that replaces what we're doing today. Fiber is more likely to buy a useful upgrade path, but then, what fiber available today will have the best options for short-run, high bandwidth in the future? The conventional wisdom of today's market may not apply in 10+ years from now so "future" proofing a network cable install is not an easy task.

With that said, if I wanted to pull a cable that would be likely to support very high bandwidth for future upgrades, a duplex of single mode OS2 or multimode OM4 fiber terminated to LC-UPC is hard to beat. The single mode variety is already in use for 100Gbps applications using QSFP28 transceivers. Price wise the cable is dirt cheap.... 100ft pre-terminated for ~$20-40 at fs.com. Pull it alongside a pull of 6A for less total cost than CAT8 and have a feasible path to 100G already paved. The down-side to this, is that again, we really don't know what changes in tech will do to this selection. LC is popular right now because it fits nicely at the tip of an SFP sized transceiver. My hunch is that this will be a mainstream, commodity-use connection for a long time that is likely to have lots of options in the future for high bandwidth, but even if not, it's only a $20-40 gamble.

If you're just buying patch cables (pre-terminated), then I would assume they aren't going in walls? In which case, just get CAT6A short patches and maybe a CAT7 for your 100 footers. Buy pre-made cables for the tech you're using them with today, replace them for future upgrades that demand something better. I wouldn't expect a "CAT8" cable to still perform at the "CAT8" spec after oxidizing and corroding and physical wear and tear of 10+ years of use anyway. A long patch cable is a consumable.

If you're buying bulk cable to pull through walls and terminate yourself, there's a good chance your termination quality won't really be a "cat8" worthy termination anyway, or even "CAT7" worthy for that matter. So.... why pay for the fancy cable? Shielded 6A will carry 10G through your house really nicely and be easier to terminate with only a single outer shield, rather than many separate shields. Unshielded 6A will be even easier to terminate and work with, and will likely still carry 10G through "house" distances no problem. I'd be inclined to bundle some fiber alongside it as a future upgrade option instead of bothering with CAT8. A bundle of OS2 duplex and OM4 duplex and CAT6A combined would probably cost less than a CAT8 cable of the same length.

In commercial environments, big bundles of fiber come into the riser rooms of commercial buildings ready to deliver 1-10-100Gb to on-site customers. In residential space, I expect the "path" to more-than-1G is likely to come from 5G wireless, not from a fiber or coax line, so there's really no point in a 10G cable modem.

There are switches and routers capable of way beyond 10G per port. A modern "core" switch for big data-center/enterprise networks can be 100G per port.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Umm you may think i'm crazy but here is my Build I want try to do,I know I think I am crazy but I want to do it anyway lol;

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JamesJB/saved/#view=4KZb8d

I checked on fiber its not as bad expensive as I thought so I may add that too.

Fiber Cable

Are there Wireless 1g,2.5g,10g routers that might be cheaper than $500? and maybe Cable modems? I mean multispeed like up to 10G in one.

I did forget to tell you that I am a NEWB at this stuff,I have always had a fascination with Networking etc. for some reason,I want to learn about this stuff.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

post your building using the markup generating tool.... A link to a private parts list doesn't show me anything. ;)

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

CAT 8 is rated for 25Gb/s at 30ft. Your better off with CAT 7 for 10Gb/s at 100ft.

True CAT 8 at long lengths are vastly more expensive than most anything else. Buying in bulk is probably a good idea especially if like you say you are doing major rewiring.

Help something here helps with your question! -Rico

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Wierd its saying that there good up to 100ft unless there fake :(

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Rg4n7

My network build. those cables seem legit.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

They are very likely fine cables. What I mean by 30ft is that is the minimum standard for CAT 8 any CAT 8 cable is likely to be faster and/or travel longer than 25Gb/s at 30ft.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube