add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Onboard WiFi or PCIe Card?

Calamansi
  • 4 months ago

Should I stick with my original plan of getting the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra for the WiFi or should I just get a separate PCIe card?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're saying so, you must be in some spatial limitations, right?

The onboard WiFi is good, but an non-WiFi-included mobo plus a card is sometimes cheaper, though that's mean you're sacrificing an PCIe slot.

So, you do you.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I was just saying which one would be better PCIe or the onboard WiFi. I don’t have space limitations I want to know before I buy the parts.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Uhhh... use Ethernet

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I would but don't know how to set it up on the modem.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I have what I think is a modem near my soon to be gaming area but am unable to find the cord to which I would connect to my PC.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have the box that comes with the modem? The cord should be there.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I may just own a router.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the platform.

Later Intel all use an Intel controller which is among the best on the market currently.

Older Intel/AMD, PCIe card, or USB depends on the quality of the module that was used.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

A router will have 3-4 plugs in the back, one will have the modem in it and usually a different color, unless its a all-in-one unit with a modem/router in one from the provider and those still usually have network plugs for cat6. All you need is a cable and run it from PC to those.

MB with wifi is handy its always there, though you can't upgrade it but how long would you run it anyway. Most MB don't have them and its easy/cheap to toss a card or USB wifi in so....I guess if you need wifi and that MB has the features you want then get it. It may be nicer to have on a small MB where you don't have extra pcie. I never use wifi on my home PC so they are no use to me.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

appreciate the help man, I won't be purchasing any parts until late November or even Early December, but when I do I'll give you an update on the build. - Also thanks for all your help and fast response times my guy!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube