add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A change in commenting policy on completed builds

philip

76 months ago

EDIT: Thank you to everyone who has provided feedback on the policy change. I've decided to remove the heavy-handed restrictions on completed build comments, instead changing the notice to "please be polite and constructive."

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 6 points

Hmmm. I think the new policy hampers those providing honest critique, and I think it was mostly just a few peeps, who STILL aren't following the rules.

The thing I'm mostly thinking about is, "What if someone picked out a dangerous psu, and their computer will explode, isn't it in the best interests to suggest a new one?"

Or what if they picked out a cooler that's not great for overclocking, and they were gonna attempt to overclock to 4.6Ghz or something - using the wrong cooler? I think I'd appreciate it if people told me that overclocking a i7-3770k using the hyper TX3 was going to be dangerous and recommended a better one for me before I fried the CPU.

But I fully agree on not attacking owner's choice in components and going overboard with the useless suggestions.

• 76 months ago
  • 9 points

Thank you for your feedback, and you're absolutely right - the policy would have hampered honest (and productive) critique. I've decided to remove it and replace it with a "be polite" recommendation instead.

• 75 months ago
  • 4 points

Thank you! I kinda felt bad because it seemed like we were complaining too much about the new policy, but you listened anyways and put forth a good compromise, and I appreciate the things you do on this site, like making sure people feel welcomed and all that. ( °D°)/

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

totally agree ;)

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely. We (as forum-ers) ought to provide the best performance-for-the-price parts towards those seeking assistance with as little bias as possible.

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

Will comments on cable management (and the like) be considered "attacking the owner?"

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

I think I overreacted to the situation - my apologies. I've revised the policy to ask people to be polite. (And for what it's worth, I don't think comments on cable management are necessarily attacking the owner.)

• 76 months ago
  • 4 points

Thank you! It is really great to have the owner of this site respond to and interact with its users the way you do. Most people would never admit that they were wrong or amend the policy.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube