add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Zero knowledge in networking, please help choosing new router

Liclac
  • 4 months ago

Hello,

I literally have zero knowledge in router, wireless and networking. Currently looking for a replacement of my broken one. Here are the options based on some research and the price, but I don't know:

1. Asus RT-AC1200G+ https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC1200G-plus/

2. Asus RT-AC58U https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC58U/

3. Asus RT-AC68U https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/

What are the differences?

Any other good recommendation? I like Linksys, but is it getting too expensive these days? Brand availability where I live: Asus, Linksys, Tenda, Belkin, TPLink, DLink, Netgear.

Some questions:

1. My bandwith is maxed at 30Mbps, with medium sized house. Will I get benefit from using AC routers or more expensive routers? or should I get cheaper non AC one?

2. Usage: around 6 smartphones, 1 tablets, 1 laptop, and 1 PC.

3. For youtube, downloading games and movies, steam, torrent, etc.

4. My PC is on the 2nd floor, router on 1st floor, with my previous cheap router (no physical antennas, 7-8m/22-26ft direct line between router and PC) I got fair-med signal, and the further room on 2nd floor is hardly receiving any signal. Will antennas help?

I am no expert in networking, so plug and play please.

Thank you in advance, your help is kindly appreciated.

Edit: formatting is hard

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Among the three listed, ASUS RT-AC68 series is quite popular.
Next level up would be the ASUS RT-AC86U.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

RT-AC68 is a decent one, it's my max budget. RT-AC86U is out of my bugdet here, xD I'm not running NAS or home server. I think it will be a waste of money in my case.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Your needs should be met by most decent AC routers with modern features like beamforming. Take a look at the TP-Link Archer A7 in addition to the Asus units. I'd stick with AC capable routers since they are newer and should be better able to handle range and multiple units, even if you don't need it for the pure link speed.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you for your suggestion, so I will still get benefit from AC routers, that's good to hear. I'll take a look at the Archer A7.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a tp link n450 for many years, I can get one here for around 20 bucks. It runs 4pc wired, 1080 streaming, and around 6 mobile devices. It never has a problem, my internet is 100 last time I checked. But its getting faster and this has 100 lan ports, they should be 1000 now. It has great range. So I bought an ac1900 because they have n450, and I only put streaming on the 5ghz for now. I researched some, the n450 works great for all the mobile devices and laptops that is why I went this way for an upgrade as most slower AC don't have the n450. I also need some range here outside which 2.4 and big antenna are better at. So, depends on your needs and budget what you get, I don't run enough data to need top notch I only stream once in a while and my PCs are cat6 so a 1900 should last me a while. If I move to 4K streaming it will handle it easily. The N450 can stream 4K but not sure how much room that leaves for other things, while AC of course you can dump the streaming on 5ghz. Far as brand I'd look for top reviewed ones that meet your needs, seems like most brands have bad models and good models, so pays to look them up specifically. Big antenna and beamforming can help range, moving your router higher in the house can help, you can look into an extender or running cable. Also check for other networks I use a tablet, and then choose weaker channel for yours. Note a high power router is not going to be nice to other routers close to you, at least on 2.4 they interfere and lower range in congested areas.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

hey, thank you for your reply and suggestion. I indeed need video streaming with some room for my other family members to do stuffs. I think AC will benefit more from this, at least based on what I read on internet.

And I might try a better position for my router. Or I can get an extender later on. For now, I think I will go for the RT-AC58U, reasonable price, and supposedly to have a wider range. Thanks!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 5ghz has maybe 2X bandwidth, but range is less. Its ideal if you can stream on it. Also has a lot more channels than 2.4 so you don't get interference from other nearby networks near as much. And yes then it takes all that off your 2.4 network, that is best thing with AC. I would still wire to a streamer if I could, all my PCs are wired but my streamer only does wifi.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube