add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Spectrum WiFi

jm1gic
  • 5 months ago

Good afternoon!

So I have spectrum internet and they have the modem/wireless router combo. Would I get better performance out of a different wireless router? Or even, I actually hardwire in, can I get better speeds wiring into a different router? Pretend like I know absolutely nothing when it comes to routers and the best way for signal.

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I have Spectrum internet as well. The modem/wireless router combo they give you is fine as a modem, but the router part is far less spectacular. I run a separate router (and save the $5 they charge for activating the wireless router functions) so I can control my WiFi as I want.

Would I get better performance out of a different wireless router? Or even, I actually hardwire in, can I get better speeds wiring into a different router?

Yes, but it depends on the wireless router you get. A good dual band router is going to be better over longer distances then the one provided. Now if you PC is right in the next room, it may not matter.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

What router/ brands should I be looking at if I wanted to replace the spectrum one? What makes a good router?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a not a simple question.

https://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/buying-guide/

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you checked of they will swap out your hardware?

Local Spectrum place swapped out the all-in-one for a separate modem/router that keeps up with my Nighthawk AC2100.

Worth checking out if they will hook you up for free.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That is what they give you, but right you can get your own and save the $5 and they give you a modem only. Hardwire depends on if the unit is 100 or 1000 speed on the ports, older/cheaper routers are only 100 and could slow down with heavy streaming or switching. I have my PCs wired to router with 100 ports and they work fine but if you run a switch and have more PCs to one port its possible to choke some, or you have very high use like 4K streaming/etc. With wireless the newer AC routers run 5 and 2.4ghz and 5ghz is weaker distance but can handle more data for streaming/etc., plus you can divide your wifi network between them. New routers have more speed I would not get under an AC1900 and higher is faster it depends on your budget. Where you put the router can affect wifi signal, the antenna on router can help it get more distance as well or go through walls better. Higher in the house can help too, if you have a problem with low wifi speeds or need longer distances. You can look up the model router they gave you and see what speeds it can do to compare when you shop for a new one. Also depends on what you are running on your network, a lot of stuff you need a better router.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube