add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best way to setup a range extender router, or not?

pcbldragain
  • 4 months ago

Keep reading about this but not sure it will work like I want. I have a N450 with big antennas that does well I can stream tv (though mostly cable is watched) and run around 6 mobile devices, and my PCs are wired to it. Problem is the cable comes in the basement and modem and router is there, so everything in the house works great but in the back yard not so good likely because the router is a little under ground level. So I bought a new AC1900 and thought I would put the old N450 upstairs and cat6 it to the new router, so it could just do 2.4 for mobile devices in and outside and move streaming to 5gz on new router. I think I can use a different channel on the N450 and have the AC1900 do the DHCP/etc (?) but a device is going to connect to one router or the other and not switch, but that may not be a problem unless I walk from basement to outside with a phone. Or I turn off the 2.4 on the new router downstairs but that sounds dumb.

The issue is the cable, to move the modem and router I'd need new cable line and move the installed cat6 from the PCs, but if it were upstairs it might work fine with one router. Or I run a long cat6 upstairs from the modem, and run the PCs on a gigabyte switch at old router location, or run all new cat6? I'd have to run 2 new cat6 through the house.

Right now I get 95Mbps on PC speed test (the N450 has 10/100 ports), and they told me my modem is too old I can get a new faster one. I don't have any strong wifi from anyone else causing issues. What is best way here?

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube