add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

FPS drop while playing World of Warcraft. What's struggling?

FanaticalMunky
  • 4 months ago

So I've noticed that when I'm raiding on WoW my fps tends to drop by quite a bit due to loads of things happening at the same time. (In case you don't know what raiding is, its pretty much on average 25 players in a smallish area attacking a boss. So lots of spells, movement etc etc going on)

I'm curious, is it the GPU or the CPU that is struggling?

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 CPU: Intel i5-8400 2.80GHz

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of the time wow hits your CPU hardest, but however (yes there is a however) What kind of monitor are you running, 1080, 1440, 4k, what is your refresh rate. So lets say you happen to have a MSI 1440p, 144hz monitors, and that mage is laying down some AOE, That death knight is going crazy with his death and decay and that hunter is burning up from standing in fire or whatever is on the ground that is unhealthy at the time (not that i ever played wow), Than the GPU could be the cause of the bottleneck. But also a few things to help, reduce your particle density and how far you can see.. Even in a raid, it can help.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

My monitors just a crappy 1080, not too sure what the refresh rate it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case, and if it is a option, try to open your task manager and see where the drain is, i know it might be hard if you only have a single monitor. I run a multi display so i always use a app called rainmeter, and i love it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

In the guild i used to be in, we always blamed the hunter.. Poor guy did not even have to be online, we still blamed him...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What API are you running?

DX12 randomly frame drops no matter how capable of a system is being used. It is a side effect of game engine interaction even though it is generally recommended by NVidia and AMD.

DX11 for WoW is both higher performance in frame rates, and better frame rate delivery.

Raids will hit both CPU and GPU hard so you can find both limiting performance in turn.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Now it could also be due to the game engine itself. It uses a secure client--server type game engine and that forces a good amount of its processing to be done in serial and thus is limited to the speed of a single core. WoW is not multicore friendly and won't scale on performance with more cores. What are your framerates looking like? It is not uncommon for enough stuff going on to cause an i9-9900k OC to 5.3 GHz to sub 30 fps levels too.

You will never have 60+ fps everywhere in WoW no matter your PC hardware.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube