add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I go upgrade on my build?

BakingPieBro

1 month ago

Hey guys, I was looking to upgrade something about my pc, but I don't know where to start. What should I start with.

Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BakingPieBro/saved/4yJJxr

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

test19 is totally right.

You don't have a clear path to upgrade effectively, Very outdated for today standards and the cost you would have to change for the better cpu your board can handle (probably the FX-8350) makes it completely not worth. The same for a GPU change, a meaningful improvement would be restrained by your cpu (~1060/580).

That said, The best hit you could feel in your daily experience would be to change for a ssd.

And for a cheap upgrade intended for gaming, A cheap b250 motherboard for a Ryzen 5 1400 (or similar) the cheapest 8gb ddr4 you can find, and keep that GPU while you save for a 580 (or something in that grade) for instance.

Good luck!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Uh I think you mean b350 as b250 is an intel chipset I think

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yes you're right. B350. I'm sorry, my bad.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Probably a total upgrade:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $194.79 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Memory GeIL EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $66.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $59.98 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card $413.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case $45.98 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $996.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-08 22:28 EDT-0400

This would be about the same cost the old is in current money. i figured $80 on the mobo, and $65 for the RAM.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Eh, I'm not trynna repay for a completely new pc. Is their something I can start upgrading on mines to like get it better?

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Let me break down your current build to where you can see why you need a new PC:

• CPU - Old FX CPUs are out of date and do not hold up any more in gaming. Their IPC is too far behind so even changing the CPU to a higher FX model will have the same downfall. Big waste of money buying FX today
  • Motherboard/ram - To use a new CPU like a modern Intel or Ryzen you need a new motherboard and they only support DDR4 so you can't re-use what you have now
  • GPU - A really old budget GPU that can't push modern games well at 1080p anymore like newer compelling low and mid range GPUs. Upgrading a GPU on its own will not help much because a FX CPU will still hold it back
  • Case - Technically you can reuse this just fine
  • PSU - Budget PSUs 4-5 or more years old I don't like to re-use. Higher likelihood of them taking a dump in your new system causing issues.
  • HDD - These are moving parts so they do wear out over time. Again if it is an older HDD the time for failure would be closer. Also HDDs are painfully slow, SSDs are very well priced these days.
  • Peripherals - These if you are happy with them can just re-use them just fine.

So out of your entire PC the only things I would even consider reusing is the case and peripherals (keyboard/mouse/camera/mic). That is not very much and you basically need a new PC. Sorry to break the bad news but it is time for a total upgrade. If you are looking for a far more budget friendly version of the build test19 linked here is what I would pick:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $118.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $83.98 @ Newegg
Memory Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.98 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $99.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card $178.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.98 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $655.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-18 18:48 EDT-0400

I did drop the CPU+GPU but both are vastly better than what you have now. I also swapped the storage to a 1TB SSD but you can add HDDs later on if you run out of room. If you can afford the better GPU or CPU than what I linked and get closer that Test19 linked it would be better performance overall.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What they are saying is even a ryzen 2200G shows +60% speed over your cpu. You can get a good MB for around 100, you will need ddr4 memory, possibly a psu but most other stuff you can get off your old PC. https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/HFLrxr/budget-homeoffice-build This is the cheapest build here its 336 for the entire PC atm, I would spend more on the MB but you can use your gpu, and even other parts. For a couple hundred you will have a much better machine you can upgrade your gpu and the cpu to any ryzen out today long as the MB will update to zen2. You wont need to buy a PC for a while.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube