add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Part Picker Password Recovery

schaef87
  • 6 months ago

I had to perform a password recovery for my account here. What I received was an email with my current password in plain text.

Are there any plans to make the passwords more secure on the back-end?

I get that there is nothing worth taking from our accounts on here, but it's the principle of the thing.

Thanks for the great site regardless!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 5 points

Are you sure that email was from us? We don't send your password when you request a password reset. The email format is:

Hello USERNAME,

At your request, your password has been reset.

To set your new password, visit the following link:

RESET LINK

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

It wasn't PCPP that sent it so who was it and why. If they had your password and sent it in plaintext what would they have to gain from it? 1. they already have access to your account one here 2. nothing to gain from your account on here. Maybe it was a threat of some sort?I hope you don't use the password for here on other sites too.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds fishy. We don't store plaintext passwords.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube