add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
yognying59

3 months ago

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this is a little off-topic, but I apprecate y'all. What is the best all-around printer. I need it to be able to copy, scan, fax, photos, and print obviously. I'm primarily going to use it for printing shipping labels, print word documents. Since I'm no longer student I would be using it fairly less. I would say 3x a week or less but depends on the circumstances. Thanks I appreciate any suggestions& recommendations and also any feedback.

Best Regards,

JC

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

If you're OK with monochrome, for that low usage rate I'd get an inexpensive laser printer, and I'd start by looking at Brother.

Inkjets aren't all that good for irregular use because the heads tend to clog up. Lasers have a higher initial cost (not as much as it used to be) but are a lot cheaper and easier to keep running.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a specific printer in mind? what do you think HP printers over brother? Thanks!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a Brother multi-function that has been chugging away for several years, although it doesn't see much usage. I imagine it's been replaced by a newer model; the one I have is an MFC-7360N. I haven't had an HP printer for years and don't really have an opinion on them; I do suspect however that the days of the almost-indestructible Laserjet are long past.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I had HP printers and nothing but problems for home and work use. Very expensive. Now at home I got a brother mfc-j985dw, this one takes huge ink cartridges, this printer was ranked as cheapest to run. Another model takes different size ink so be aware of that. Over a year on it here and no problems, once the black ink faded and a head cleaning fixed it. I'm still running the ink that came with it lc20e that does 2400 pages (they cost $20) the black is twice as big. This printer also does more than I need you can print from a phone and other things, duplex, I have it as my network printer. Far as how long it lasts I don't know check reviews on them. I likely print much less at home than an office would. It may not be the best for photo prints but then it is not sold as that and only has 3 colors like a standard printer. I have printed on photo paper its not terrible, but a previous 6 color printer may have been better. So I would investigate photo quality of it if you need that, I have not printed many photos with it but it spits out typical documents in color or not with ease. I'd say if this fits your needs give it a look because you can save a lot on ink.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

appreciate chu

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The HP printers usually work well long as you keep feeding them expensive small ink packs. If I didn't use it for a while it was empty, even full they don't last long, and this is for at least 5 different model HP used. You also want to leave an ink jet on all the time so it self cleans if you don't use it, most take near no power while at sleep. The last HP the ink was near $50 each and it took two most of the time. I used to have a laser and a inkjet but gave up the last laser when it died. They are far nicer for b&w printing imo. The real issue is if you put a reload in a HP they stop working, and there was at least one legal case against them. Brother says you can, but the brother ink is so much cheaper I doubt I will bother. This one is less than half the cost for a much larger cartridge. I go by reviews for things normally, and while HP printers work well the high expense is well known. In the end more people toss HP printers in the landfill because new ones are so cheap and ink so expensive. If you have a problem with it you just buy a new one.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

oh wow, i didnt know this. Thanx for bring this too my attention. Refill em each when non use knowing that ink packs can add it too quite a lot. Im torn on printers. all printers have bad reviews.. it's so conflicting at time. Top brands I look at are hp and brother. brother is crap as well though. are you currently using a printer,if so which one or what model? thanks

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the brother I posted about above, it has been working well for over a year now. Hope it keeps on working. Brother mfc-j985dw.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube