add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should you put your monitor near a direct sunlight window?

PrivatePengu
  • 5 months ago

Hi PCPP

In [this HardwareCanucks video], Dimitri says you should put your desk near a window. The problem is my window has direct sunlight, and I'm worried about visibility. As in, would I get irritating sunlight into my eyes, and/or would my monitor be harder to see, etc.?

Any advice?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't know what video you are referring too, but I imagine the context of the video is more about possibly using your monitor in a well lit area and usually by being near a window with sunlight can have reasonable amount of ambient light.

Obviously would really need to apply logic here and if placing it in a spot which will wash out the image (relative to the backdrop), or the sun itself is in the view (as in pretty obvious in your natural eyeline relative to the monitor), then be smart about it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It was this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfgIyD_ea4g

He says it's pleasing to the eye if you have some distance behind your monitor and some landscape, which I assume is true, but I'm concerned that the monitor would get distorted somehow

Avoiding windows where the sun might shine directly into your eyes is pretty important, right?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

As I say a matter of being smart and applying logic specific to you setup. I his video is from think from a aesthetic point of view and also mood to an extent, having a nice backdrop to your monitor would be nice (in addition to the ambient light element). More so as ideally you should periodically look up and focus on objects in the distance when at your monitor.

However if that causes problems with viewing the screen then need to look at a more practical solution. I mean you could always try the set up against a window in your situation would be the most relevant method to see if there are / are not any problems in your specific case. If there are problems, then look at what else you can do to improve viewing.

• 5 months ago
  • -3 points

My recommendation is to either close your eyes or wear sunglasses. That is my very bright idea.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube