add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

buying a prebuilt pc

yuksnot

4 months ago

okay so basically, I know its probably better to build your own PC, but I honestly don't think im up to it at all. if you were looking for a prebuilt pc, what kind of specs would u look for? or what are some trustworthy places to get them (im in Australia)?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Ask the seller which PSU they are using not for buzzwords like"600W" or "80+ Bronze"

ask for a specific PSU and a picture showing the PSU's stats usually on a sticker on the side.

What speed the ram runs at and what its CAS latency is. Heat spreaders are preferred but RAM usually wont over heat as badly as other components.

Ask which exact CPU cooler they are using, if its a "premium build" and they are using a stock cooler move on to the next build. Avoid buying prebuilts with AIO's because those things have a relatively short lifespan.

Ask what chipset they are using, i cant believe how common it is for companies like cyberpower PC and IBuyPower to use terrible A320M motherboards on high end builds. Even on builds that cost over $1500, a real scam.

If the build doesn't have an SSD then be ready to spend a few extra bucks and add one in yourself ( i would prefer samsung drives for the cloning software as acronis can be a b!**** to deal with.

Once you figured out everything else then you make sure that there are REAL pictures of the PC and not some show room model on a black or white background, it is the bane of every genuine sellers existence. Once it has arrived take a picture of the box before you even pick it up. When you take it out i'd recommend taking video but its not necessary. However what is necessary is taking pictures of the condition of the item before you plug it in or turn it on.

Open the PC to make sure everything is plugged in, i knew a friend that bought from cyberpower PC and his ****ing M.2 ssd wasn't installed properly or the RAM. Take a picture before you move anything and check to see if the PSU matches what the seller listed it as, trust me and everyone else on here, a bad PSU is the worst thing you can cheap out on.

Then turn it on, do the regular installation process and press ctrl+alt+del to bring up task manager. Go to more details then performance and check to see if the main components match the description of what it was listed with.

Then after that enjoy.

Of course this is recommended if you want to use your computer for a long time and this will prevent you from being scammed.

As for places i'd buy from, i'd say Gumtree in your case or Ebay because you can get good deals for your money.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

For AUS, not without paying an arm and a leg.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Quality parts which means paying out of the *** and then some for a prebuilt since the ones you find on Amazon, etc have low quality cases, PSU's, etc. You will save a TON of money if you just build it yourself.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

For specs I would consider what kind of performance I want and consider range of CPUs/GPUs that would fit my requirements. After that I would look around for one that would have those specs. Well as long as it fits my budget. If the PC you want has bad storage options typically you can add another HDD or SSD to the PC easily so that wouldn't be a huge issue.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube