add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to upgrade my GPU (Possible failing)

CanUDigIt

4 months ago

For the past week or so, my PC has starting giving me a black screen (Games, Music and Videos will still play in background). Only fix is to restart the PC. It doesn't seem to be consistent, any where from 15 - 60 min before the black screen. I rebooted and used the integrated graphics in my CPU and don't appear to have the same issues. This is what leads me to believe the GPU is failing, however i am no expect with GPUs.

I thought it might be time to pull out the R9 390 GPU and buy something newer, if i can keep my other parts i could spend up to $500. Just trying to figure out if i should use all the money on a GPU or if the $ would be better split between other upgrades along with a newer GPU? Can my CPU and RAM even handle a $500 GPU? Recommendations would be helpful, full PC list is linked below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PTV6Mc

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $111.59 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $65.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card $119.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $49.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $477.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-16 23:53 EDT-0400

Keep the storage, and go for this build.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

For the past week or so, my PC has starting giving me a black screen (Games, Music and Videos will still play in background). Only fix is to restart the PC. It doesn't seem to be consistent, any where from 15 - 60 min before the black screen. I rebooted and used the integrated graphics in my CPU and don't appear to have the same issues

When is the last time you updated graphics since that seems more of a driver issue.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually this all did start after i updated to the most recent driver. Is there a way to go back to an older driver?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Run something like DDU and reinstall a stable driver.

The Beta drivers from AMD lately have been a little hit and miss with some issues that's why there have been so many.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Black screens may also be caused by a failing PSU. Something else to keep in mind.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube