add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Just started high school

Mjolnir242525

1 month ago

I have no idea why I'm posting this on PCPP... Everything is new, I don't know anyone, the school is so big i got lost and was late for my first class. Me being an introvert doesn't help... I don't know how to approach people, how do I make friends? Does anyone have any experiences? I'm going to sleep now so I will read comments tomorrw... Everyone in my class seems confused but I have that feeling like I'm the only new kid... The school is huge for my country's standard; 1052 students... And I have a problem with remembering names and faces. I'm in a class with 23 other students. I don't want to be that wierdo who doesn't talk to anyone but, well, I don't know how to talk to people... Help...

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Well, I’m also introverted, and the best I can tell you is to try and use that to your advantage. It’s actually very common. What is the fundamental idea behind introversion? I’m willing to bet your answer isn’t necessarily a bad premise, but does the premise directly conflict with making friends and talking to others? I thinketh not!

For the late-to-class thing: a lot of people are late the first day, it gets better as time goes on (and time has a habit of moving, curiously enough). If you can’t remember people’s names, just don’t try. I’ll often just nickname people and pretend that is their legal name. If the teachers ask why it says something different on role, you say that their actual real name is a code-name, while the name you have made for them needs to be hidden from the state.

My favorite friend-making tool I have in my arsenal is as follows:

• Pick someone out in your mind. I don’t really care about your rationale as to who; in the end it will only make sense to you anyway. Maybe just avoid the angry sports types.
  • Insult them in some really random and abstract way. Since I’m a short guy, I find it funny to walk up to random tall people and make fun of them for being short. A good one is to look at their math work and say, “oh, I see you’re a fan of cubism! I am as well.” Another one you might try: “you wear your watch on your left arm? You absolute fool. Have you never heard of the Geneva Conventions?”
  • You want to make sure that your insult isn’t something that will actually seriously offend them. You’re more-or-less just trying to majorly confuse them. A lot of the great “insults” here involve finding something you would compliment them on, identifying the opposite in your mind, and making fun of the opposite. Best example: find a tall person and call them short. You want to make sure that the compliment isn’t something subjective or they might just get mad. Just because you think someone is good-looking does not mean you should walk up and call them ugly. They might not see that you don’t believe that.
  • If you didn’t make them too mad, just keep talking (but don’t layer on more insults). It would be really bad if you walked up with some nonsensical insult and then just left; then they’ll think you’re actually insane. So all you need to do is just keep the conversation going, usually they’ll do it all on their own trying to find out what you meant. It helps to predict possible responses to your insult beforehand and prepare. Don’t be too afraid to call them crazy if they try to debunk your insult. Most people haven’t read much of anything (especially historical documents), most people can’t argue their height if you don’t care to listen, and almost no one has the preparedness to combat an insult if it doesn’t relate to them.
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Chances are, about half of the people in your class feel the same way. Connect with them on that level.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I don't know anyone, the school is so big i got lost and was late for my first class

Thats normal, nothing to worry about there.

how do I make friends?

Alot of times i made friends by asking " hows your day going? " its cliche but it worked for me.

Does anyone have any experiences

I made friends with the artistic and mechanical crowds. One class i would purposely anger my art teacher by drawing the lowest quality anime mashups possible. The kids in the computer classes taught me how to emulate and taught me how to bypass school filters on computers and do basically whatever i wanted. I also learned how to code through linux command prompts.

Only 1,052 students?

Only 23 kids per class?

Sounds like heaven. My HS had 4500 students and it was so crowded you'd get between classes by riding the waves of kids. 40 - 50 kids per class, in really small classrooms. I remember when a teacher told a class i was in that when the school was built it was meant to seat 2500 students, oh how times changed.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Something you can do that is very simple, and I still use it today with new people (at my work there's new people) when you see them for the first time in the day a simple head nod and "hey.. how's it going.." - that's all you need to do to start. Do that a few more days to various people, some will return the greeting, others may not. Eventually those greetings turn into a conversation - just let it take a few days or a week or so.

And most likely others are thinking very similar thoughts.

Good luck.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I don't want to be that wierdo who doesn't talk to anyone but, well, I don't know how to talk to people... Help...

I'm also an introvert. A lot of relationships are built on shared experiences, so that's the one thing you've got going for you is all your other students are doing a lot of the same things.

And it's not that you don't know how to talk to people. It's just you may not have a lot to say to people who don't share your interests. Or you're over thinking it. People are people, they're not impossible alien monsters. It's easier to talk to people when you know where the commonality between you and them is. The tricky bit about being new and being around new people is learning that bit. But even that isn't impossible. People like music, TV/Movies, Video games, books, etc. And people like talking about themselves too. The hardest bit is taking the first step to break into that sort of conversation. People also like confidence, and if you have the confidence to make that step and see what happens they'll tend to respond to that.

But I also remember being a teenager, I was awful at it. Experience is the great teacher though.

And even if you're too shy, keep your eyes and ears open and figure out who's who, and you should be able to sort your kind of people out, and then no problem shooting the breeze with someone you know likes X when you like X too.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Welcome to hell.

...You'll survive.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

sort of

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Be yourself. You will make friends, likely of higher quality than the extroverted socialites. Quality >>> Quantity.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'm a senior this year, when I was a freshman i was introverted too (still am), most of my friends were from middle school, but new friends in high school i just sort of waited and made new friends naturally without really trying to force myself, thats the best way to do it. Nobody really cares if you are introverted, everyone else in your classes are probably scared too for no reason. Some classes in high school I never spoke more than 10 words in the entire year and never really had problems with anyone or anything.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

One thing to add. Most of the friends I've made are from mutual friends that I've known since 6th grade, but since you say you don't know anyone it will be a bit harder but its not impossible. Last year I made friends with a group of freshman because they all just started sitting at my lunch table when they had nowhere else to sit, I didn't try to force myself to fit in with them it just happened.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Screw freshmen.

/s

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As an introvert and 3-year high school veteran, my best advice is to not worry and you'll be fine.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

24 kids in one class with a school of 1052 kids? Damn my school had 32 kids per class and 1001 kids. Also i dropped out so i cant help you there...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

we had 1600 in our HS - but I don't remember how many per class.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yea there are way too many kids in schools these days. I heard about a school with 4000 kids like tf.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It was many years ago that I was in HS.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't see it changing anytime soon. Population continues to grow. Taxes continue to get misused, resulting it teacher cutbacks, lawsuits need to be handled by tax dollars...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

my cousins went to one with 6000+.

eat this.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

23 students per class? Damn, that's a lot compared to my school. We had like 43 people in our entire senior class lol.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

In a school with 3,000 other kids this happens pretty often to me.

This isn't too hard, don't worry! It's all gonna be a-okay.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Most Everyone else is probably the same way, just talk to them and generally it will help them out to, also if you forget names just be honest and ask them, usually people wont care as much as you think they will

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Most of what you're describing is the standard for freshmen. Making friends in HS is easier if you keep in mind that being forced to spend time with people makes the friendship process easier. You don't know anyone so you don't have enemies, thats a good thing. You are a full human person with personality, talents and interests. Theres 1000+ people there, you're bound to find someone who shares some. If there are clubs, you should join those too. I know being introverted may make this more difficult, the others have suggested great tips. good luck!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube