add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Used drives poping up from Amazon

yawumpus

3 months ago

Searching the hard drive list currently shows the Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB at $34.95 (or ~$17/TB). Sources are Amazon ($34.95) and Newegg ($96.99). Following the Amazon link, you will see a note saying "renewed".

Probably the biggest issue here are the parametric builds, especially those directed for new users. Old hands might realize that prices 1/3 of Newegg should raise suspicion and more scrutiny, but new users might not be so careful.

Searching for reports on Amazon hard drives, you will get plenty of dire warnings (especially used drives sold as new - which is not this case), but it is difficult to determine if this is more an issue of Amazon quality or Amazon quantity (are the problems equally or less likely through Amazon, but if everyone who posts internet hard drive horror stories, Amazon will certainly be the most common. Also the whole "fulfilled by Amazon" certainly encourages a "race to the bottom". On the other hand, I recently bought one (3TB spinning drive) and haven't had such issues.

Finally I should at least point out that this is an "enterprise" drive, and may well be more reliable "renewed" than a new consumer drive. Just don't assume that it is safe to turn off and on every day.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you link the specific drive on our site? We should only be listing new products on the site.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

My understanding is that many of these drives are simply old stock being offloaded for low prices. Anyone selling used drives as new will be penalized by Amazon and if you get a used drive you can replace it without issue.

The 2nd link though is directly from Amazon refurbs though and we will have to look into that.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Looked into it, and the pricing data is marking it as "new" and not "refurbished". We may need to blacklist that particular marketplace retailer. I'm looking into it some more.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps it may be an option to include if it is new or refurb if it is advertised as a refurb. Either that or try to exclude it as a suggested price if it is a refurb price. If people want to save a buck and get a refurb it's fine as long as they know what they are getting before they buy it. Of course I am all for blacklisting sellers that lie about their products because that does not help anyone.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

We don't want or plan to show any products that aren't NEW on the site.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kxndnQ/hitachi-ultrastar-2-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-hua722020ala330 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K8Z4908/?tag=pcpapi-20

I suspect the "renewed" bit is meant to be in the fine print and get past as many filters as possible. This is the very first hit (as of 9:41pm EDT 9/5/2019, but also when I posted) when sorting by Price/GB.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube