add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unstable internet connection

dwang040
  • 5 months ago

My friend moved into a house for the school year and he's currently using the router/ modem provided by Comcast. He told me that they were paying for 400mbps and only receiving 150 in speed test. And that the connection drops frequently (wired and wireless). He's called xfinity a couple times, ending in the typical modem refresh and oh hey, it's working so it's good. He also ran the troubleshooter. It said something along the lines of a mismatch/ incorrect dns which I told him to do a dns reset in cmd. Still waiting to see if anything will go on but any suggestions/ ideas on how to fix this?

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Comcast needs to make a trip to the house and check the signals both inside and out.

Customer service gave a very lame excuse and you should get what you pay for.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely. Custom support is good at general stuff but some stuff just needs to be escalated to a higher level of support.

I think the only issue with this is that if Comcast comes over and find nothing, we still get charged for a visit whether or not they fix the issue. Last time I was able to fight it and get a refund but since this is my friend, they'll have to deal with that I guess.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'll probably have them try and reach a higher support. They aren't the most tech savy so he told me he got stuck at lvl 1 support everytime he called

I'll let them know to try again and see if they can reach a higher support. So many points of failure (I think) when it comes to service sometimes and it can get confusing/ out of hand. Hard to troubleshoot sometimes.

[comment deleted]
  • 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe it depends on the company, but I know when I needed to call tech support from linksys, they couldn't go off script at all. I had a router problem, and it took a whole month to solve because of this. The router I bought stopped performing properly after one year and that specific model just didn't work for me for some reason. Either way, one week to escalate my case up to tier 3 support only for them to tell me to rma it. I got the new unit, the same issue occurred and I spent another week doing the same things that I had already done myself before calling (restarting stuff, checking updates, making sure modem is outputting proper speeds, etc), and reaching tier 3, a simple rma again... Then they replaced it with the same model but version 2, same issue, same customer support procedures. Finally, the rma department gave me a different model because they didn't have the wrt1900 in stock. Thankfully, the new model they gave me worked and I hope I never have to call back.

Idk, I believe that they must get a lot of calls that the script/ flow chart will solve easily (most of the time, it's a basic thing that was overlooked), but at the same time, I guess they're also forced to follow the steps. In my case as I described, it was well documented each time something occurred and even when I asked them if I could just skip tier 1 and 2 since I already did basic troubleshooting and I doubt it was as simple as a "restart" or "bad setup," I wasn't able to and had to sit through the waiting and hours of calls for basic troubleshooting.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube