add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Realtek vs Intel Ethernet Controller

vwcrusher
  • 6 months ago

I could use a little perspective; I have gathered all the components for a new build except for the MB. My original selection was the Elite (above), but unfortunately it is out of stock.

I liked the Gigabyte MBs as they have good VRM and Intel Ethernet Controller. This board only has 2 system fan headers, and I have three case fans, so that is a potential problem. Other components include 3700X, a couple of NVMe SSDs and 32G RAM. I should mention that I do not plan on overclocking the CPU, but maybe RAM.

In looking at alternatives there are a few: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus - in stock, but Realtek Controller....$189.

Gigabyte X570 Elite WiFi - I don't need WiFi, and this board is $10 more than the Elite, still with 2 fan headers....$216.

Gigabyte X570 Pro WiFi - Still don't need WiFi; Gigabyte makes a non-WiFi version, but no one seems to have it, 3 fan controllers.....$238

I have read some things about the Realtek versus the Intel. I do not know much at all about the impact. Will the Realtek be a potential bottleneck? Given how much I have already spent on this build, a few more $$ is less important than the right configuration.

thanks for the assistance.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Realtek vs Intel Ethernet Controller ... Given how much I have already spent on this build, a few more $$ is less important than the right configuration.

Intel.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

It's not that big a deal unless your CPU is maxed out and you are hammering the network with latency-sensitive traffic.

IMO it's of no consequence at all if you're talking about internet traffic (as opposed to local network traffic) because the WAN latencies are going to be many times anything that the local interface processing can introduce.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube