add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[HELP] My R5 3600 is running at 4.2 Ghz idle.. and 55c

iRyanSparkz

1 month ago

Hello! I just finished my new PC build, and i just noticed that my cpu is not running at 3.6 Ghz instead is running at 4.1GHz and 4.2Ghz idle... and temps going between 45c and 56c idle... i heard that ryzen does that if power and cooling is enough.. i lost my part-list and i don't have time now, but im using:

AsRock steel legend x570, enermaxx liqfusion 240 AIO, and a Corsair RM650i gold certified, i dont know if this is good or bad!? I have 4 case fans installed too.

please help!!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Those are still safe operating temperatures but it's probably not 'normal' or ideal. It sounds to me like another case of PBO/XFR shenanigans being triggered by otherwise benign software causing the chip to boost. I'm no expert on the matter, but it was a known problem on the previous Ryzen generations... although AMD seemed to assure everyone that it was fine and nothing to be concerned about.

Still though, I'd be more concerned about roughly 1.4v being fed through my 'board constantly when these chips boost that high than I would be worried about the CPU. Here's a workaround fix:

• Power and Sleep settings
  • Enable the Ryzen 'Balanced' Plan
  • Change plan settings
  • Change advanced power settings
  • Scroll down to "Processor Power Management"
  • Change the "Minimum Processor State" to about 20% instead of 90% by default.

Should be good to go after that. May be a sort of Band-Aid fix, but it's all I've got. Cheers and good luck! Someone with more knowledge of what's going on may be able to help you further.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

[UPDATE] cpu temp is 60c avg when gaming and CPU clockspeed is 4.1 GHz

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Go into BIOS and make sure that Precision Boost Overdrive is off.

Most companies enabled it by default and it has the same issues as Intels MCE with high power draw and operating temps.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

[FINAL UPDATE] For those who have this problem, i solved the problem by changing the frequency and voltage configuation from AUTO to MANUAL, when you chose manual it will automatically get the recommended numbers, 3600 Mhz and around 1000 on voltage.. now the cpu is running between 34c to 39c idle and up to 50 while gaming!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube