add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC Round 2 - Looking for Input

csmith47

1 month ago

Trying to get my first PC together (again) and looking for input/suggestions/concerns/tips!

History: why a new build? I originally purchased and found that MSI lied on their item description by copy/pasting specs from their better mobo into the budget one I purchased, rendering my list incompatible which I stupidly found out half way in to my build (new to this). If you have suggested updates please don't add MSI. Original thread: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/316276-1st-pc-build-am-i-good-to-go

My overall goal is to build budget, but I'm keeping longevity in mind because longevity = budget over time! I purposefully went B450 and 550 PSU for easy upgrade/additions, higher power GPU than needed so it'll last, 1TB SSD because 500GB + 500GB HDD is only $20 saving, and was told go 3000mhz RAM with Ryzen. I will mostly use this for web design, Office Suite, my architectural program, Steam games (Raft, Forest, etc.), and possibly dip into R6S. I'll want to multi-task w/ Discord/Spotify/etc. running also.

Peripherals and extras are staying, so no need to suggest others. I use this mouse at work and it's a great ergonomic little thing with nice lighting, not fussy on keyboards and this should match. Case is also non-negotiable; while unboxing I fell in love, this is a beautiful low-profile case which simply shows of the interior. Going for black and dark grey them with subtle green accent.

I'm new to the PC build game so any tips/tricks with this list or suggested items is a big help. I know the basics, build on a towel so no scratches or bouncy screws, build off carpet, de-static yourself before, think of cable management ahead of the game not the end, etc. etc. etc.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $156.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $64.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card $252.00 @ Newegg
Case Corsair - Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower Case $63.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $51.98 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair - SP120 57.24 CFM 120 mm Fans $23.99 @ Amazon
Custom Silverstone CPF01 3.94" PWM Fan Splitter Cable $6.99 @ Newegg Business
Custom Black PCB TV BackLight Kit,Computer Case LED Light,eTopxizu 3.28Ft Multi-colour 30leds Flexible 5050 RGB USB LED Strip Light with 5v USB Cable And Mini Controller For TV/PC/Laptop Background Lighting $7.99 @ Amazon
Custom Wifi Adapter 600Mbps EDUP Wireless Usb Adapter ac600 2.4GHz/5.8GHz Dual Band Usb Adapter 2dBi External Antennas $13.99 @ Amazon
Custom Redragon K503 RGB Gaming Keyboard, RGB Backlit USB Gaming Keyboard with 8 dedicated Multimedia Keys, Total 112 keys, Full Size Keyboard $23.99 @ Amazon
Custom Large Mousepad 14167 Green Smoke Abstract Art Natural Eco Rubber Mousepad Design High Quality Durable Mouse Mat Computer Accessories Big Gaming Mouse Pad $4.99 @ Amazon
Custom PICTEK Gaming Mouse Wired [7200 DPI] [Programmable] [Breathing Light] Ergonomic Game USB Computer Mice RGB Gamer Desktop Laptop PC Gaming Mouse, 7 Buttons for Windows 7/8/10/XP Vista Linux, Grey $14.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $965.75
Mail-in rebates -$55.00
Total $910.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 12:43 EDT-0400

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Curious about what MSI lied about?

The Asrock b450 pro is about the lowest budget board you can get.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Had the same thoughts. MSI currently has some of the best hardware on their boards across the entire AM4 platform. He might be referencing MSI using essentially the same phase/vrm layout on the X470 as they do on their B450. In the, er, red and black ones. Hard time remembering the names. Gaming Plus or Performance Gaming? Something like that.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Not sure why that would even matter in his original post he said no overclocking.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm still really new to this and my gaming needs are basic, so no need to OC. Later on I may look in to it, I like learning new things and would be fun to play with.

ColdConduct was spot on, they took text word for word from one of their higher class mobos and pasted in the description of the budget-friendly version I purchased. I'm totally fine with errors, a typo of 4 fan headers but there's only 3, etc. We're all human. But when you buy a mobo claiming it has all these features then (as a noob to building) you start to build and "hey, they said all screws would be attached", maybe they missed mine. Wait, why do I only have 2 fan headers? The site clearly states CPU+2 and I bought extras... Half of my SATA are missing from description....... It was just screwy and gave me a bad taste; felt more like blatant lying than the eMarketer doing a typo or two.

Happy to take any mobo suggestions! Doesn't need RGB and trying to keep lower budget, hence this one. I was thinking ATX for more add-on capability later, my case should fit just fine and have solid cable management.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

MSI did nothing you got just what you bought. You let the other guys talk you into buying less of a board and the PCpicker site has the wrong description NOT MSI Msi does not add anything to the boards description on this site it is all up to this site.

They do make mistakes sometimes on their descriptions like everybody, you might of even received the wrong board.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You'd be spot on if I had purchased through PCPP. I purchased from Amazon where companies add their own descriptions (I know, I used to do this for a company). That same MOBO on Amazon showed the description, pictures, and tech specs for MSI's ATX version of this m-ATX. I even contact Amazon asking if they shipped incorrectly on accident and they called out that it was MSI's error. They even paid return shipping which they only do if it's not consumer's fault.

I take the compatibility thing with a grain of salt, I know it isn't perfect or it would error on things like adding 10 fans with only 3-4 headers available. If it was perfect it would at least say "hey, you need a splitter or this won't work." That's why I'm going to forum until I get some building experience. You can find consistencies in 10-15 peoples' input and that's what I go off. Hence switching from Asus cheapo board, I had no clue but y'all said it's no good so pretty certain I can trust it!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's very hard for me not to recommend an MSI board, but since they gave you a headache I'll respect what you've asked and leave it out. Your build looks solid. There are only a few things I'd change.

You can get a Crucial P1 (NVMe) 1tb SSD for $100 bucks. It'll be faster than the Samsung and cheaper. Alternatively, if you want a 2.5 SATA drive you can get a Western Digital Blue or Crucial MX500 for about $105 bucks currently. Still cheaper than the Samsung with very little difference in everyday, real-world speed.

You can get the 3200mhz kit of Corsair Vengeance for only $10 bucks more. Drop the CL and tighten the timings if you'd like. No reason not to consider them for only $10 more dollars in my opinion.

You could get a Ryzen 7 2700 currently for cheaper than a 2600X. The 2600X will game better by a small margin, but that's negated if you overclock the 2700 and consider the better multitasking it offers due to more cores/threads. This is something for you to consider based on your needs.

Consider a better quality motherboard. The Promontory lineup from Asrock has had mixed reviews since Zen 1 when Ryzen was released. If it works then it will be just fine; if it works. I would definitely call it the weakest link in your entire system, but if that's your budget for one then that is fine. Just keep an eye on it and be aware it may not be the best option out there. Hard to argue with such a low price, though, I understand.

Lastly, and especially if you decide to go with a 2600X or overclock the 2700 a little, a Hyper 212 Black Edition cooler may be worth picking up. They're on sale for $25 bucks and may give the 2600X a little more headroom with its XFR and PBO (self-overclocking) features. In this case dropping temperatures adds a slight boost to performance. By no means is this a necessary purchase, though. Up to you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cBzDD2

Crap, I don't remember how to post builds in the list view above. Anyway, your 2600X + Vengeance 3000 + the 860 EVO is $357 dollars. In my part list the 2700, faster 3200 Vengeance, a Hyper 212 Cooler, and a faster Crucial NVME drive is $352 dollars.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Awesome suggestions, thank you! I only did Samsung because every comparison review said "it's Samsung, so it's the best." I'll happily go cheaper there. Increasing RAM for $10 is a no-brainer. I'll look into 2700 also, I don't plan to OC or do much in BIOS so something cheaper that's good for multi-tasking sounds perfect. I'm not as tech savvy or huge into making this the perfect machine, I'm only going self-built for the satisfaction of running MY computer and because upgrades here and there are much cheaper in the long run.

To post full list hit the PCPP logo in the "Markup:" section :) thanks again!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Glad I helped. And yes, in this industry don't be afraid to give some other companies a chance. Too often the much better value products get overlooked because they're not the most recognizable brand. Anyway, as for your build plans; it definitely sounds to me like you'd get more of your money's worth out of the Ryzen 7 2700 than the 2600X. Whether you overclock or not, the difference in gaming (usually base, single-core clocks are the determining factor here) wouldn't be that recognizable to anyone unless they're some compulsive framerate watcher. Both will deliver a solid performance while the 2700 will likely age a bit better and be more well-rounded. I do think you should heed everyone's advice in here and consider a better motherboard, though. It doesn't quite live up to the rest of your build and while it certainly is good enough, the question should be 'but for how long'? I wouldn't want you to chance running into motherboard problems as a fairly new builder because they're often the most infuriating and difficult problems to diagnose/resolve.

Oh, and thanks for advice on sharing builds! Don't spend a whole lot of time down in these forums.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I’ll definitely be going better mobo. Saving $100 now and needing upgraded in 3 years is more expensive than paying extra now and lasting 7, and much easier!

Pretty excited to get this all rolling. Thanks again for advice!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Curious why if msi screwed you on a motherboard why you want literally the cheapest on on the market... spend a bit more on a good board. The steel legened from asrock or the B45-F Gaming from asus are good options.

Also upped your ram to 3200 for basically the same price.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $93.48 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $70.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $51.98 @ Newegg
Custom Silverstone CPF01 3.94" PWM Fan Splitter Cable $7.98 @ Newegg
Custom Black PCB TV BackLight Kit,Computer Case LED Light,eTopxizu 3.28Ft Multi-colour 30leds Flexible 5050 RGB USB LED Strip Light with 5v USB Cable And Mini Controller For TV/PC/Laptop Background Lighting $7.99 @ Amazon
Custom Wifi Adapter 600Mbps EDUP Wireless Usb Adapter ac600 2.4GHz/5.8GHz Dual Band Usb Adapter 2dBi External Antennas $13.99 @ Amazon
Custom Redragon K503 RGB Gaming Keyboard, RGB Backlit USB Gaming Keyboard with 8 dedicated Multimedia Keys, Total 112 keys, Full Size Keyboard $23.99 @ Amazon
Custom Large Mousepad 14167 Green Smoke Abstract Art Natural Eco Rubber Mousepad Design High Quality Durable Mouse Mat Computer Accessories Big Gaming Mouse Pad $4.99 @ Amazon
Custom [PICTEK Gaming Mouse Wired [7200 DPI] [Programmable] [Breathing Light] Ergonomic Game USB Computer Mice RGB Gamer Desktop Laptop PC Gaming Mouse, 7 Buttons for Windows 7/8/10/XP Vista Linux, Grey](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cmHRsY/pictek-gaming-mouse-wired-7200-dpi-programmable-breathing-light-ergonomic-game-usb-computer-mice-rgb-gamer-desktop-laptop-pc-gaming-mouse-7-buttons-for-windows-7810xp-vista-linux-grey) $14.99 @ Amazon
Total (before mail-in rebates) $981.23
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $941.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 13:22 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Happy to upgrade boards if this one isn't as reliable. Just didn't appreciate a company making that margin of error. I get typos and whatnot, but copy/pasting text from one of your best boards on to your budget one is scummy.

Do you have another other suggestions for mobos? I looked into Steel Legend but it seemed to lack future additions mainly since it's a micro with limited headers. The case I have will fit with good cable management. Doesn't matter if it's ASRock or not and not doing RGB aside from the fans so that'll help cut cost.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I highly recommend the asus b450-f gaming mobo, that's what I have in my system.

and yeah that's not cool...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $126.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $70.99 @ Newegg Business
Custom Silverstone CPF01 3.94" PWM Fan Splitter Cable $4.49 @ Newegg
Custom PICTEK Gaming Mouse Wired [7200 DPI] [Programmable] [Breathing Light] Ergonomic Game USB Computer Mice RGB Gamer Desktop Laptop PC Gaming Mouse, 7 Buttons for Windows 7/8/10/XP Vista Linux, Grey $14.99 @ Amazon
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1011.25
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $971.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 16:11 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The Steel Legend is available in both micro and standard ATX form factors.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Perfect! I may have to snag it then, love the bit of silver for my setup

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Updated parts after posting, thanks for the help!! And the $2 in upgrades for a fairly sizeable boost!

Should I go w/ Auros wifi so I can nix my external, or Asus Rog Strix?

Also, is my GPU solid? I'm not running 4K any time soon, but I want one that'll hold up a few years.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor $149.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard $104.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $77.75 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $107.40 @ OutletPC
Custom Silverstone CPF01 3.94" PWM Fan Splitter Cable $4.49 @ Newegg
Custom [PICTEK Gaming Mouse Wired [7200 DPI] [Programmable] [Breathing Light] Ergonomic Game USB Computer Mice RGB Gamer Desktop Laptop PC Gaming Mouse, 7 Buttons for Windows 7/8/10/XP Vista Linux, Grey](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cmHRsY/pictek-gaming-mouse-wired-7200-dpi-programmable-breathing-light-ergonomic-game-usb-computer-mice-rgb-gamer-desktop-laptop-pc-gaming-mouse-7-buttons-for-windows-7810xp-vista-linux-grey) $14.99 @ Amazon
Total (before mail-in rebates) $972.53
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $912.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 16:13 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Your build is looking very good now. Make sure you don't forget to place your orders before sales and such end haha. The way you feel about MSI's crap marketing is how I feel about Gigabyte's motherboard build quality and reliability in recent years so I can't pretend to be thrilled about that Aorus Pro WiFi selection either, but I don't want my opinion to make or break your build - nor should you let it. I'd still consider it a safer bet over that Asrock Pro4 you originally had in the plans so that works. Plus it'll save you a couple bucks on a WiFi adapter as you've pointed out. Still though, just want the record to show, if it were my build I'd definitely have the MSI B450 Tomahawk as the top consideration around $100 bucks followed by the Asrock Steel Legend and Asus B450-F Strix. That decision can be left up to you because I think you'll be fine with any so long as you don't get a dud. As for your video card, what more do you want to know? It's a really good card. Great for high refresh rate gaming at 1080p resolutions while also delivering very good performance for 1440p resolutions. Are you looking for more? Less? Better value?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I’ll stick with it then, I’m just opinion hunting. I defer to those who know more than me until I get experience. Through research it looked solid, but I though so in the cheap Asrock mobo also haha

Thanks for the tips! I like the community PCPP has fostered, everyone seems quick to help and rabbit holes don’t seem to form as they would on sites like Reddit.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Not when I'm around, nearly to 3200 comments in JUST 72 days!!!!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube