add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this true about AMD doing this?!?

CHEAPBUILDSFTW

1 month ago

So I have no idea where to put. But I’ll will put this here since it’s about CPU’s but a staff will most likely move it to “off topic”. I just want some more confirmation about this. If this is true then AMD is really kicking Intel in the behind. Showing outstanding customer support.

Link: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/295027-amd-will-provide-a-free-temporary-uefi-upgrade-kit-for-ryzen-3000-motherboard-updates

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yes, this is true. AMD has offered these kits for pretty much as long as I can remember. Pretty sure Intel has, too.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Damn, how come no one told me about this :P. I almost bought a X570 for no reason if I can use this service.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Example can be updated without a processor even installed.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Hy97YJ/msi-b450-tomahawk-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's a really good move. Respectable and pro-consumer, especially given AMD's promise to keep AM4 going strong. Enjoy your new build and money saved! thumbs up

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They been doing that if you have a few weeks to wait, some of the B450 boards the BIOS can be upgraded with out a CPU making it not needed.

For kicking Intel not really most of the time the Intel boards will at least boot letting you update the BIOS then. The AMD boards just don't boot so it's more of a flaw their working around.

• 1 month ago
  • -2 points

Most high end amd or intel boards will boot without a cpu, and most low end board will not.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No board will boot without a processor LOL.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Most of the time the Intel will boot with a CPU of the same socket that is not yet supported with the BIOS version letting you update the BIOS, AMD will just not boot if the BIOS don't support the processor.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes although it doesn't always work as many of the X470/B450 on the market still require a BIOS update to be compatible with the Athlon 200G.

And if the motherboards manufacturer is providing support then AMD doesn't provide the boot kit.

If you need a CPU to perform a UEFI update, AMD will ship you one, provided you have made a valid purchase of a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU and can’t boot the motherboard due to a UEFI update issue. Send AMD a photo of your CPU (with serial numbers visible) and a copy or summary of communication with your motherboard manufacturer to indicate why support from the OEM won’t resolve the problem. AMD’s help page goes through several options that may help users fix the problem without needing a new CPU, but whether these work will depend on whether the motherboard supports features like UEFI / BIOS flashback.

AMD will ship users an Athlon 200GE with prepaid return shipping to perform the update. The CPU must be returned within 10 days, but users are free to keep the included thermal solution if they so desire. Those who need to apply for a kit can do so here. Include your CPU serial number in the product details and enter the phrase “Boot kit Required” (without quotes) in the “Problem Description” field.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/295027-amd-will-provide-a-free-temporary-uefi-upgrade-kit-for-ryzen-3000-motherboard-updates

If You do not confirm shipment of the Athlon back within the required time frame they charge You for it as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It is a nice gesture, but I'm just buying a super cheap processor to have on hand should I need the upgrade. I don't really want to have hardware sitting around waiting for them to process my request and send out the loaner.

Then again, I'm also making 2 builds so my $50 processor translates to a $25 mobo upgrade fee assuming I am unable to return it.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Nice! That is actually kind of tempting. I wonder is a system like that would be at all usable as a cheap in home NAS.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes and you can add more drives and ram if you wanna to.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

AMD charges You MSRP if the Athlon isn't shipped back within the 10 days of recieving it.

They did the same with the old boot kit as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes, and you can keep the provided cooling solution.

That was the the same case with the older boot kit solution from AMD.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Your misleading the other poster with the price set at $0.00 when AMD charges $75 if You don't return it though.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Of course he will be charged.

What would you do if you haven't got the CPU that i have lend to you for 10 days.

Are you serious?

There is no misleading if the poster sticks to the Rules. And yes he can keep the cooler. But only the cooler.

Free shipping is valid for 10 days.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-3000-am4-motherboard-x470-b450-boot-kit

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-offers-free-%E2%80%98boot-kit%E2%80%99-for-struggling-ryzen-3000-owners.html

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/295027-amd-will-provide-a-free-temporary-uefi-upgrade-kit-for-ryzen-3000-motherboard-updates

So FREE for 10 days, provided he returns it within 10 days.

And that's why it's called: Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit

~Rules~

AMD will offer affected and qualified users (as described below) an AMD Athlon 200GE Processor, including thermal solution, for short-term use ("boot kit") to perform the BIOS update on their motherboard.

This short-term processor loan or boot kit is offered through AMD warranty services and is available only for qualified users that:

Have made a valid purchase of a 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and; Are unable to boot that processor because the user’s current X470/B450 BIOS must be upgraded first.

This service is free of charge with the following condition:

Once you have submitted your claim for a processor loan boot kit, AMD will require pictures of your 3rd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor and AMD Socket AM4 400 Series motherboard, which clearly shows the model numbers and unique serial numbers as well as a copy of the purchase invoice(s) to authorize the request. Additionally, a summary or copy of communication with the motherboard manufacturer is requested to indicate why support from the Original Design Manufacturer (ODM) is not suitable.

Once the RMA request is approved, the AMD Athlon 200GE processor will be sent with pre-paid return shipping. The processor is provided as a temporary loan to you for the sole purpose of updating the BIOS and must be returned within 10 business days of receipt. It is not necessary to return the provided thermal solution.

To obtain the boot kit, please carefully follow these instructions:

Go to the AMD online warranty claims page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form Fill in your full contact and product details (3rd Gen Ryzen Processor OPN number and serial number) In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)

NOTE: The product must be a valid AMD processor with authentic OPN and serial number.

Once the claim is received and approved, confirmation details and boot kit instructions will be provided in a follow up email.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You could even use the cheap AMD Athlon 200GE processor for building a dirty cheap office PC!

Example:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor $56.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450M PRO-M2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $24.99 @ Amazon
Case DIYPC - F2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $33.16 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $40.40 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $280.52
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $265.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-17 14:35 EDT-0400
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

lol

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well yeah. The deal is though if you don't send the upgrade kit CPU back in 10 days they charge you for it. Similar sort of scheme exists in some RMA programs, for example had a PSU that blew up and the manufacturer sent me a replacement immediately. But if I didn't send the defective unit back within a window they'd charge me the cost of a new PSU. AMD is dotting their i's and crossing their t's in the same way, I mean it's not shocking, amazing or revolutionary. It's just a thing AMD can do to support their large window of upgrade and backwards compatibility options.

Intel's model is a bit different as they break compatibility every other generation. And arguably there's not a lot of incentive on Intel's side to buy a previous gen motherboard with a current gen CPU (within the same compatibility grouping). And if you already have a previous gen system and are looking to upgrade to a current gen CPU, you can just do the BIOS update before upgrading.

So I mean the optics look good for AMD. But it might just be a waste of resources for Intel because their business model is different, or Intel does do something similar but it's not really an important feature for them.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Gigabyte high-end MOBO doesnt support that cpu to get the lastest BIOS version, because they say there is no space in the BIOS memory so they nedeed to remove some AMD LOW-END cpu..

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

Does that mean this build will still work? I'll just have to update the BIOS before I put the chip in? PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.00 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $88.09 @ B&H
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $198.85 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Dominator Platinum 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $189.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $107.40 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - IronWolf 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card $739.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $108.89 @ OutletPC
Optical Drive LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $46.00 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC51 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.55 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM 107.41 CFM 140 mm Fan $27.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua - NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM 107.41 CFM 140 mm Fan $27.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua - NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM 71.69 CFM 120 mm Fan $25.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua - NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM 71.69 CFM 120 mm Fan $25.95 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor $629.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus - MG248QR 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $269.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Corsair - K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard -
Mouse Logitech - G903 Wireless Optical Mouse Purchased For $93.99
Headphones Audio-Technica - ATH-M40x Headphones $99.00 @ Adorama
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3356.46
Mail-in rebates -$70.00
Total $3286.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-19 21:16 EDT-0400
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I mean if you spending that much money, I would go for a 570x so you won’t have to update.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube