add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2700 or 2700X

livewire222

1 month ago

Hey guys, so newegg has a sale for the 2700 for $150 and Amazon has a prime day sale for the 2700X for $200. I was going to get a 2600X and pair it with the ASrock b450 steel legend, but should I get one of those other processors due to the sale? Would they be ok to use with a b450 steel legend? Thanks for the help, the sale is only up until tomorrow.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well the performance difference between the 2700 and 2700X is about 10-11% for the later. (general performance not only gaming).

Also the 2700X comes with the better Wraith Prism RGB cooler.

So if you can spend $50 more...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to get a 2700 or 2700X with the sales over the 2600X or even the 2600 which is now only $120. I don't plan on OCing at all. I've heard the 2700 is ok, but much better if you OC. I had decided on a 2600X, but now with the sales I'm not sure if I should grab something else. I was planning on getting the ASrock b450 steel legend mobo.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oh! i missed the 2600X part. lol

As gaming concerns there isn't much of a difference between these processors.

https://tpucdn.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-2600/images/perfrel_1920_1080.png

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So at this point what's a better value, the 2600 or 2600X if I'm not planning to OC?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

With the 2600 $40 under the 2600X at the moment, I'd probably pick the 2600 unless I thought I needed that extra few percentage points. When the pricing is closer, the 2600X wins.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Even if I don't want to OC, with the $40 difference the 2600 would be the better choice? I'm worried that that 2600X may have a price drop or a temporary sale too.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, the price difference between the 2600 and 2600X is $37

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6mm323,jLF48d/

If you are on a strict budget the 2600 is the way to go.

If you can spend a bit more there are two options really.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WPQG3C,6mm323/

Now if you consider to do other tasks than only gaming like editing, rendering, streaming, encoding and similar the 2700 would be the better option.

And even if you don't need 8 cores and 16 threads for gaming and especially if you don't have in mind to make regular CPU upgrades down the road, then a 8 core processor is definitely the more future proof option.

And to be honest, 150 bucks for an 2nd gen. Ryzen 8 core processor, is a bargain.

So just make your calculations and choose wisely. :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The main thing I'm concerned about with the 2700 are the lower clock speeds since I won't be overclocking.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Couple things I want to mention:

First, the B450 Steel Legend should be able to handle a 2600X and a moderately overclocked 2700, but I wouldn't be comfortable recommending a 2700X paired with it. It'll no doubt run and 'work', but that chip will definitely push it to its limits and longevity may become an issue. In terms of the hardware I'd say the MSI B450 Tomahawk and B450 Pro Carbon AC are better suited for the task. There are a lot of reputable reviewers and articles covering heatsinks and vrm quality if you're interested.

Second, you can't go wrong with any of those processors. All are on sale for great prices. If you don't want to overclock, but want overclocked performance then get the X models. I own a 2600 and an all-core OC of 4.1ghz produces very little noticeable difference between the 2600X at these speeds. Still though, the difference between the two is about 10% at best.

Lastly, your uses and how long you plan to keep the processor. I believe the 8-core 2700 and 2700X is the obvious choice if you intend to stream or do any workloads aside from gaming. However, if this is a strictly gaming rig then you can't go wrong with a 2600 or 2600X. But we are slowly creeping our way towards more cores/threads being utilized in video games - finally. Even if you are just gaming, but want this thing to carry its own weight for as long as possible (say, 5-7 years) then the obvious choice would be a 2700 or 2700X.

Best bang for your buck: 2600

Best gaming chip: 2600X

Gaming + productivity + intend to keep the processor for 5+ years: 2700X

Value productivity if you want to overclock and tinker around: 2700

Hope some of this helps!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So what would be a good motherboard to get for the 2700X?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Strongly recommend the B450 Tomahawk for the best all around value in my opinion. https://www.newegg.com/msi-arsenal-gaming-b450-tomahawk/p/N82E16813144189?Item=N82E16813144189

The Carbon AC uses essentially the same hardware but comes with a better feature set and may look nicer to some. Cost is more expensive, though. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

MSI and Asus have some decent X470 motherboards as well, but really, I don't think they're necessary.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

The Carbon AC uses essentially the same hardware but comes with a better feature set and may look nicer to some.

The Gaming Pro Carbon uses twice the hardware the Tomahawk does for power delivery along with a better audio codec.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's great news if so, and thanks for clarifying. Memory must be off then and I'll have to dig back up the source of my info and find which two I had confused. Unless you know from recollection? Maybe it's the X470/B450 Performance Gaming ones sharing the same design as the Mortars/Tomahawks.

Edit: Yep, you're spot-on. My apologies. Either way, all viable options for the OP here and his uses.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

All the X470 and B450 GPC share power delivery.

Otherwise all the B450 run a much cut down version of the above.

The Tomahawk/Mortars are only as good as they are because of the heatsink used.

Many think because the Tomahawk/Mortars are good the rest of the line is good, but they forget it's the entire package combined that makes those models as good as they are.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I've heard good things about those boards. What if I want to stick with a 2600/X? I was thinking about the ASRock b450 steel legend, ASUS prime b450-plus, or gigabyte b450 gaming x.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For a 2600/2600X the Asrock Steel Legend is more than enough. It's not a bad board for pretty much anything under a 2700X. Looks really nice, too. I also like it more than the Asus and Gigabyte anyway. I've had bad experiences with Gigabyte motherboards in the past 2-3 years. I used to really like them, though.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What about those other 2 boards? I couldn't find any reviews on them.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube