add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel i7-9700k or Ryzen?

Helas

1 month ago

Hi Everyone, I would like to hear you opinion,regarding these two cpu types? Which is better and which would you buy.The budget would be 470euro

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

3800X vs 9700K

9700K will have up to ~5% better performance in some gaming conditions.

3800X will be up to ~40% faster when workloads scale to more threads, and have way better headroom for software encoded streaming.

If you're min/maxing for highest possible FPS and don't care about anything else, go 9700K. For a more well rounded CPU with meaningful advantages in other workloads or multi-tasking workloads, the 3800X wins.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your opinion. Mainly im searching for the best choise for both sides.I mean gaming and workload.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

To be honest unless you need the performance boost from multi threading, applications like gaming generally scale perfectly well with physical cores with single core speed being an important metric. In this respect Intel holds and advantage. Multithreaded applications will favor chips with this feature built in. It is up to you since I do not think you can go wrong with either. Streaming will favor the Ryzen if this is going to be a strong feature of your PC. Right now, with all the talk of Ryzen 3000 series, I do not think they are a great deal at this time. This will change as we see more boards hit the market.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'll be the first to strongly suggest you buy a Ryzen 3700X because it is a much better all-around chip for the price. When accounting for the price, by the way, you should also consider the cost of your motherboard and CPU cooler. The 9700k does not come with a cooler whatsoever while the Ryzen will come with a fairly decent one if you stay below a moderate overclock. That said, I'm willing to excuse this difference because I realize in the Ryzen-based system you'll likely spend the same cost of a cooler for faster memory - which Ryzen tends to prefer. The biggest difference between the two in terms of cost will come down to the processors' MSRP and the motherboard(s). Seems the 9700k floats around $400 while the 3700X should regularly be found for $330 despite the current launch shortages and slightly inflated price as a result (at least on Newegg). You can get a solid B450 'board like the MSI Tomahawk for $100 bucks whereas comparable Intel 'boards will run you around $50 bucks more expensive.

So, as the tale usually goes, if you want the best value for your money then you should consider the AMD build. If, however, you're fine spending a bit more and only plan to play games then I cannot deny the 9700k may be better for you.

... but still, the difference between the two in gaming is marginal and we haven't even had enough time to give the Ryzen chips a fair shake because the drivers and BIOS will no doubt continue to mature over time. Lastly, the difference between the two in gaming becomes even less noticeable on any resolution above 1080p because the higher your resolution, the more dependent your frames become on your GPU instead of the CPU. I just cannot confidently recommend the Intel chip unless you explicitly ONLY care about gaming performance in a high refresh rate (144hz-240hz) 1080p environment.

Thanks for hearing me out. Either way, both are great processors.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the explanation. Mainly my budget for the whole pc is 2500euro max,but in lithuania the prices are higher then part picker is showing,plus with the whole pc i need a monitor. That’s why i am trying to find the best solution and the best cpu for my build

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I watched this video, it seemed relevant.

Here's the deal (Ryzen 3900X, 3700X, 9900K, 9700K benchmarks) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZAqV6yo2vo

Perhaps you can decide based on this.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you alot!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A Ryzen 3700 or an i7 9700k, depends on what combo is cheaper

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

Gaming 9700K.

Ryzen has advantages in non-gaming workloads that are not biased against it, but giving the current prices on it and its motherboards I would go Threadripper instead.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Threadripper (the current edition) only makes sense if you go big (>16 cores) or really need the I/O. If you need the I/O, it is either threadripper or a server platform, so threadripper makes plenty of sense there.

The bigger problem is that at least in Germany (budget specified euros, but not country. Germany seemed a good place to start), the cheapest TR motherboard (according to PCpartpicker) is 260 euros and threadrippers run 287 euros for 12 threads and 363 euros for 16 (I'd expect that CPU sales exist, but I'm less sure about motherboards). It won't fit his budget.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

The reasoning was covered above and for streaming dual channel DDR4 doesn't offer enough bandwidth to avoid capping out and taking hits on frame rates.

Adding more cores making memory calls only makes the matter worse.

The bigger problem is that at least in Germany (budget specified euros, but not country. Germany seemed a good place to start), the cheapest TR motherboard (according to PCpartpicker) is 260 euros and threadrippers run 287 euros for 12 threads and 363 euros for 16 (I'd expect that CPU sales exist, but I'm less sure about motherboards). It won't fit his budget.

That makes a TR+motherboard about the same prices as a 3900X+B450 but a better featured platform that avoids one of the shortcomings of dual channel for the intended uses.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Okay.So i need then to buy i7-9700k for gaming then. The main idea of this question is if i could get a better cpu then i7-9700k for gaming streaming. Thank you for your opinion.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

Streaming depends on whether You are using the encoder on the graphics card or using the CPU to handle the workload and then what kind of settings.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Okay lets say this.You have 430 euro and you need to Buy a cpu for your gaming pc. Sometimes you will stream,sometimes will have some light work to do with your pc,but maintly it will be for gaming. What cpu would you buy?

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

9700K no reason not to buy the better CPU for the workloads.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

No. Unless you are going to high frame rates, over 144 FPS, you are not going to see a difference in gaming performance between a 9700 and a 3800X. Most of the time your gaming FPS is going to be limited by your GPU, so the increase in gaming performance of the 9700 becomes meaningless.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

Most of the time your gaming FPS is going to be limited by your GPU, so the increase in gaming performance of the 9700 becomes meaningless.

Having more CPU headroom isn't meaningless it means You have upgrade options later in both monitor and GPU and it will last longer before needing replacement.

And there is no such thing as a GPU limitation unless the poster chooses to limit themselves with settings.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

Having more CPU headroom isn't meaningless it means You have upgrade options later in both monitor and GPU and it will last longer before needing replacement.

It is because by that time that happens both CPU will be out of date and an upgrade will be needed. That is if games stay lightly threaded, if that changes the 3700X may very well have a longer life span for gaming. We don't know, so it's meaningless.

And there is no such thing as a GPU limitation unless the poster chooses to limit themselves with settings.

That is a limitation, even if it is self imposed. Of course the vast majority of people do make that choice.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

We don't know, so it's meaningless.

Thank You for admitting Your post was meaningless.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube