add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What do you guys think of this build? I'm torn between navi and 2060super

Sprenzy

3 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JYPyJ8

I've checked some sources and they are pretty varied. some say that navi out performs 2060 super with less wattage usage and that the tdp is good and some say that navi runs pretty hot and benchmarks shows that navi doesn't really outperform 2060super (https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-rx-5700-xt-vs-nvidia-rtx-2060-super/)

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

2060 super outperforms NAVI 5700 by 5-10%

NAVI 5700 'XT' outperforms the 2060 Super by 5-10%

The Nvidia card runs cooler and quieter

The AMD 5700 is 50 bucks cheaper

The AMD 5700 'XT' costs the same as the 2060 Super, but does run hot + noisy

Although im hugely in favour of the Navi compo, im not so much excited for the blower type cards which could have seen a more vigorous cooling solution, primarily to keep noise levels down. All is not south from here since AIB partner NAVI cards are expected to remedy the issue (or preference). Only problem being, these are not officially confirmed with a launch date and may roll in in August, or September.

If you absolutely want to cash in now, the 2060 SUPER offers a great balance of worthy performance (not far behind the 5700 XT), comfortable load temperatures whilst gaming and bearable acoustics without having to ramp up fan RPMs.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If I go for the 2060super Navi might bite me in the *** a month or 2 later but If I wait for the remedy I might end up waiting 1 or 2 month

so basically the remedy for 5700xt is that it would be quiter and cooler right?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

We'll see some custom Navi designs in about a month. So far MSI has 4 confirmed that I know of.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes! AMD partner cards will employ chunkier heatsinks and more effective heatpipes, with x2/x3 axial fans to maximise cooling benefits. With an improved cooling solution you can also expect the fans to run at lower RPM's which results to lower noise levels. In any case, significant improvements are always expected with open-type cards opposed to closed in blower cards - that too with decent case airflow for maximum benefit.

I recently viewed a 5700 gpu disassembly video from gamers nexus as I was a little baffled as to why "improved power efficiency" did not result to cooler runnings. As suspected, AMD placed very little emphasis on their cooling blend, presumably to save cost for what is i guess a "value" card. IMO, simply not good enough to compete at the level AMD is targeting.

Good news is, some AIB partners/agents have already confirmed custom designed cards for mid-August.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The reviews are mixed, but if you put them together, I think most reviews are saying 5700 XT is slightly faster than the 2060 Super for about the same price. This makes them both competitive (unlike Radeon VII vs 2080) and there are pros and cons to both.

5700 XT - Pros:

• Faster for the same price, this means more raw FPS for the same price

• Drivers still new, like to see a bit more performance increase through driver updates

5700 XT - Cons:

• Drivers being new means that it's not optimal right now, you might run into issues that won't get solved until a few weeks or even months later

• AMD's reference card is STILL a blower card, this gives partner cards an excuse to up the price for better cooling as well as slightly more performance, so $399 won't be the price for a decent 5700 XT, unfortunately

• Warm and loud due to being a blower card, need to wait for partner cards to see if they still suffer from these same issues

2060 Super - Pros:

• Stable platform, RTX cards have been out a while now, these are refreshes, so driver updates for stability are close to maturity, if not already mature

• Unused features that may play a part in the future. There are RT cores and tensor cores in the RTX cards. RT cores are a joke, because there aren't enough of them, but tensor cores aren't used at all yet. If future games use tensor cores, can it improve performance of the 2060 Super because the tensor cores will take certain loads off meaning there is more room for other processes? Maybe, no one knows

• Nvidia reference cards are using open air coolers, this means for partner cards to appeal to customers, their only option is to offer slightly better performance for the same price, otherwise why would anyone buy a partner card? This means $399 for decent 2060 Super is very possible

2060 Super - Cons:

• Same price, slower card

• Stable drivers, so being slower means it will stay slower, you're unlikely going to see a driver update that will make it faster and be able to match the 5700 XT

Anyway, this is just my opinion on them both. If you don't mind sacrificing around 10% performance (post 5700 XT stability) to get a stable platform GPU now, get the 2060 Super. If you want the most FPS possible for every penny spent and don't mind constant updates in the next six months till the platform is stable, the 5700 XT might win out if the partner cards are priced reasonably. In my opinion, neither are definitively better than the other, because the pros and cons are literally trade-offs. You can't get the best of both worlds so say which is better right now. 3+ months down the line, this might be very different because prices, performance, stability, temperature, noise will settle down, but for now, that's how I see it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube