add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transferring Windows 10 License to a new PC.

Maximus9929

1 month ago

I've recently started to fix up my older rig (Link) because the motherboard got fried and is no longer usable. However most of the parts still worked. So I've already bought new parts and made a PC with both old and new here. The problem I have though is I'm not quite sure if I need to get a new license of Windows 10, or can I still use the one that is on the HDD from the old one. I'm thinking that due to the drivers of the new motherboard, CPU, etc, that I won't be able to. Does anybody have any experience with this type of problem and what should I do?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Typically, it will work. Windows can however, detect that a new mobo has been installed. I’ve been using the same install of windows since windows 8 came out and have changed mobos at least 3/4 times. Do you still have the product key?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

On the HDD, yes; physically, no.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube