add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sound Not Playing Through Headphones

SuperLoaf

1 month ago

Hi everyone, I am new to the PC building world, and after saving a bunch of money I decided to buy a bunch of high-end components to create an awesome new rig. Everything is compatible and functioning exceptionally, except my audio. I had it built by a Micro Center because I was uncomfortable with doing it myself due to the price of the components involved, and performance-wise everything is great save for my sound. Sound plays out of the back of my monitor's speakers, and when I plug in any sound device it registers the hardware and pops up as connected in my computer so I know that it's not just me putting it together incorrectly. It allows me to mess with its settings, but no matter what the sound simply does not come out of anything that I plug in. I have tried two pairs of headphones (one that I know for a fact work, and the other brand new) and have tried going through a soundcard using USB 3.0 just to see if it was simply a problem with the jacks, and still got the same result. It says everything is connected (I made sure that they were set to be the default audio) but when I click "Test" for the headphones in the sound control panel nothing comes out. Along with what was already stated I have tried rebooting, plugging them into different ports, and updating Windows 10 and nothing so far has worked. What makes it even more confusing for me is that when I was in my sound settings it says that the format I had selected (Dolby 7.1 surround sound) was not supported by this device, even though in the setup video published by the manufacturers on YouTube shows their technician selecting that option as he was going through the process. But it doesn't matter anyway because the default settings weren't producing sound either. I am at a loss here and out of my depth, so if anyone has any potential solutions or insights I would be extremely grateful. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit that I bought and downloaded off of an OEM disc from B&H. It has since been updated. I'm attempting to use a pair of Sennheiser GSP600s going through a Sennheiser GSX1000 soundcard. Both support Dolby 7.1. Due to my inexperience I am unsure what else should be included here, but the only thing I can think of that might have any potential influence would be my motherboard, which is an ASUS Maximus XI Extreme.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1-did you update your sound drivers?

2-did you update directx?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube