add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Triple monitors how?

AvocadosToast

4 months ago

It's not really "troubleshooting" but I'm just trying to figure it out.

I get that a GPU with 3 or 4 different outputs has to be connected to their respective inputs. VGA goes with VGA HDMI goes with HDMI

The parts that confuses me are the DisplayPort and DVI part, seeing as all the monitors I come across either have one VGA and one HDMI while others have both.

And what if you have 3 monitors that only has HDMI? Will it still work for setting up triple monitors? I get that adapters comes into play, but what is the best setup? Do people even use VGA anymore?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get adapters that will convert whatever connector you have from your monitors to whatever you have on your GPU.

DisplayPort to DisplayPort is your best option if you have it. HDMI, DVI, and VGA will work but if you have 144hz monitors, you'll want to use DisplayPort cables.

NVIDIA has software that will help run all three monitors as one giant monitor for triple monitor play, or to use each screen individually.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, but I'll be using AMD Eyefinity instead.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

VGA is very outdated, yes.

but you need the right cable from the monitor to the back of the video card.

what is your video card model number? what monitors?

I have used something like this... hdmi to display port

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812529092?Item=N82E16812529092

Try to connect to the display port of your video card, this is the best option either directly or through an adapter

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't have a video card yet... but am planning on getting a RX 580 or RX 5700 (when it comes out). I'll try getting a hdmi to display port cable, and look for an hdmi to dvi option to avoid using VGA at all cost I guess.

I already have an idea of what monitor to get but most of them have vga or hdmi or both.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube