add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help with Program Files =/

Neofox07

1 month ago

I recently acquired a "new" desktop, and failed to realize the smaller SSD was C: with my program files, as well what I can only assume to be my windows and boot drive. I've since maxed it out with little to nothing on my other 2TB HDD.

I would much rather the 2TB be defaulted for downloaded and my C drive is possible, but doing so without breaking windows is what I'm worried about.

alternatively, I know I could uninstall/reinstall most of my programs over to the other drive, but I would still be left with the SDD being defaulted and constantly having to adjust the path of new downloads.

I found this site which would move program files and then I can rename my drives to swap them around, along with changing the registry. But will I need to move other window files too? Is this non advisable? Tip? Other routes? Any help on the issue will be greatly appreciated!

https://www.backup-utility.com/backup-restore/move-program-files-to-another-drive-windows-10.html

tl:dr: I would LOVE for my HDD to become my C: drive and not break windows in the process

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i think thats great that you want to move them over to have room, but using a HDD for an OS these days is hardly advisable, even on a low budget. my advice is to get a larger SSD and move them to that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube