add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer Powers on From Sleep Without Human Input

Airplane505

1 month ago

Hi there, I am not quite sure what is up with it, but the computer powers on when it is sleeping without anyone touching the keyboard, or mouse. Is this a normal occurrence? Could it mean that something is shorting out? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/87T3Ft Thanks

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

No, there are various components that can wake your computer.

Go into the device manager and select each device and make sure the option is un-ticked that permits it to wake up your PC. I had a similar issue awhile back due to a dodgy mouse and had to set it so only my keyboard could be used to wake my PC. I disabled it for my mouse and the Wake On LAN... most likely you system is getting a signal from somewhere erroneously that is waking the PC.

Try "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" with the quotes in the command prompt window to see which devices you have that can wake your PC.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, this was very helpful!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube