add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Nauthes

1 month ago

My mother was using her laptop and it was going quite sluggish, which is normal its an older laptop but she was particularly frustrated and hit the laptop right on top of where the HDD sits.

Now the PC wont boot properly and tries to do an automatic repair when booting up but the auto repair ends iwth could not repair your computer. I plugged in my Win10 USB and attempted a repair but it gives an error “The drive where Windows is installed is locked” I tried running a few commands in CMD bootrec /FixMbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /ScanOs bootrec /RebuildBcd

This ended in some weird error as well, that i cant really remember what is specifically said.

I ran Chkdsk but it said there wasnt sufficient space on the Hard drive for the journal or somthing to that effect

So i tried to wipe the hard drive using DBAN, but DBAN is unable to find the device and gives error that no devices are found or DBAN needs a driver for this machine.

So I'm thinking that the HDD just needs to be replaced. Do you all agree with me in thinking the HDD is damaged?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That drive is toast bud. Time to do a clean install with an SSD on the cheap. She probably lost all of the data on that drive as well if it wont spin properly.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

yeah i figured even as i was typing i was thinking it sounded more and more dead.

Form Factor: 2.5in 7mm/9.5mm SATA 3

Thats just a normal 2.5 in drive with the Sata 6GB/s right?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yep, should be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube