add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i7-7700 extremely high temperature

zeezoomili

1 month ago

Hi

I have i7-7700 (non-K) the idle temperature is 30-35 C at room temperature of 25 C and every time I run prime95 (Small FFTs - maximum power/heat/CPU stress) the temperature skyrockets to 95-98 C. I have Hyper 212 evo CPU cooler and I applied different types of Thermal paste (MX-4, Arctic Silver 5) and I got the same temperatures.

Is that normal for a stress test?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $328.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-H270-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard -
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $68.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Windforce OC Video Card $499.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $106.23 @ OutletPC
Optical Drive Lite-On - iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $29.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1323.77
Mail-in rebates -$140.00
Total $1183.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-09 18:33 EDT-0400

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

That's high; prime95 small FFT is rough, but one might expect temps to stabilize in the 80's if the cooler is doing its job. Does the cooler fan ramp up with increasing temperature? is it warm to the touch at least around the base?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I set all the fans to maximum RPM I removed the plastic cover for the CPU cooler

It's neither warm nor cool when I touch the pipes end in my CPU cooler

I used different versions of Prime95 (old and new)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have a tool called EasyTune from Gigabyte It's mainly for overclocking the cpu but I found an eco mode that reduce the VCore voltage and maintain the same clocking speed 4GHz. After enabling the eco mode the temperature dropped to ~83C

Could be the VCore voltage?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I suppose. I wouldn't expect 90's though if the cooler is doing its job.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Did you remove the plastic from the bottom of the cooler?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

How do you have your case fans setup and cable management done, ideally you aiming for good airflow through the case with a bare minimum of obstructions.

If you don't have good airflow, no matter how good your CPU heat sink is, your system will bake.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Case fans Two fans at the front One fan at the back

I removed the HDD holders from the front of the case to allow for good airflow

There is nothing blocking the airflow (all cables and hardware were removed)

I've opened the case cover to allow maximum air flow and nothing has changed

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

maybe time for a different setup. That 7700 is only a 4-core CPU as well.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

I built my setup in Feb 2017 I'm not going to change it until Intel release 7nm processors hopefully less than 100 years from now :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube